Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm Cool

Being from a small town and perhaps a little naive life outside of East Hampton was different. I like to say East Hampton was a lot like growing up in the mythical Mayberry. We were a close knit bunch and everyone pretty much knew everyone elses business. We didn't need to lock the doors at night and could ride your bicycle anywhere. We were familiar with the local policemen.
I was in high school during the late sixties and early seventies. The time of hippies and the love generation. We listened to the music,wore the outfits and figured we were pretty cool. We were definitely " hip to the scene ",some more than others. That depended mostly on what your parents would allow.
We heard and read about what was happening. Woodstock and various other festivals. The drugs that would expand your mind. Better living through chemistry. Heard a lot about Pot. Mary Jane,weed,rope and smoke. In my experience I never saw any of it. The other kids would talk about it and brag about it but I never personally saw any.
In August of 1971 I joined the Navy. Went to Great Lakes for basic training. Following that I went just across the street from the basic training center to attend what the Navy called an " A " school. This school is to teach you your specialty. Mine was to be a Machinist Mate. Main propulsion and auxiliary systems was the primary course of study. I was housed in a dormitory. There were cubicles inside that contained two bunk beds and four desks. There were closets and drawers for your belongings. The front of these cubes were open to the central hall. There was no door,or front wall for that matter.
I had been there for a short time when I woke up in the middle of the night. There was a strange smell in the air. I was in the top bunk and looking down I could see three guys standing around the trash can. They were sharing what I figured was a cigarette. Taking deep drags on it they passed it to the next guy. Well,I just naturally reached over and grabbed my pack of Marlboros. I spoke up and said, " hey you guys want one of mine ? " they all spun around quickly and looked scared to death ! " Sorry if I startled you guys but saw you sharing and thought I'd offer. " Then I think I said something about the smell and how something might be burning.
I can remember them having a quick discussion. One of them, unknown to me, was asking my roommates if I was cool ? Hey man,is he cool ? I'm cool, are you cool ? We are all cool. It was then I realized what they were smoking. I'm such a hick. Well, nothing to do but play it off. I assured them I was cool. And no thanks I had plenty earlier.
I was to learn and hear about being cool for years to come. Every ship was the same. In hushed tones,someone would always ask, are you cool ? The answer was always the same, I'm cool.

1 comment: