Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ketchup and Toilet Paper

In these times of tightening our belts and couponing it occurred to me that there are just some things that you can not skimp on. I think these are different for most people. A couple years ago it was cigarettes for me. I would always scrape up the price of another pack. I preferred Marlboros' and would pay the premium price.
The grocery that I work for is,Save-A-Lot, where you can save forty per cent every day. The sign evens says so ! I see people doing their shopping and notice what it is they will cut back on and what they don't. The store has its' own brand of most everything but does have some name brand items as well. We also run the ten for ten special deals.
The items I notice that people are reluctant to change are the snack items. People still want the Frito Lay products, Herrs' and Utz potato chips and their Pepsi products. The store has a full line of snack items in their own brand and we do sell them but the name brand items are more popular. Same with the soda. The more conventional items people do not hesitant. Canned goods and cereals. And truth be told,meat is meat.
With the candy it is a mixed bag. If it is being purchased for the kids,the store version works fine. The adults want only the name brand stuff. Hersey chocolate and other top brands.
Now,for me, I always say there are two items I will not substitute. Ketchup and Toilet tissue. Both of these products are essential to my happiness. Either of the top two brands of Ketchup will do, Hunts or Delmonte. After all, I'm not a nut case. And with toilet tissue it must be a high quality product, for obvious reasons that I needn't discuss here. The cigarettes went by the wayside.
We all have our own priorities and preferences. Folgers coffee is high up on the list. Any yellow mustard will do. I prefer Coca-Cola but Pepsi will work.
Watermelon can be seeded or seedless,no matter.
What do you refuse to skimp on ? Times are hard and we need to save a buck where we can. There are some things however that can not be changed; period !

No comments:

Post a Comment