Tuesday, June 28, 2011

From the Sideline

The annual Fireman's carnival has begun here in Greensboro. Like all small time traveling carnivals it has an array of rides designed for the smaller children and ones for the larger kids.
Plenty of food and drink are available for purchase. They still have the cake wheel,where you can win a home baked cake. That is one thing that surprises me. Given the way things are in the world, and liability issues to be concerned with, it surprises me it is still allowed. I,for one,am glad that it is. I'll take my chances on the wheel and the cake.
Going to this carnival always reminds me of the carnivals we went to as a kid. Not much has changed,except the price. I suspect however, if you factor in inflation, the pricing is probably pretty much the same. The first four days of the carnival you can purchase the ride bracelet for a set price. Not a bad deal.
Carnivals and amusement parks always trigger an unpleasant memory for me as well. As a kid I didn't like the rides much. I'm just not into being spun around,lifted up and down and turned upside down. I wasn't amused ! To this day I don't enjoy that,although I have ridden roller coasters and the like. I would not be a good candidate for a pilot. I always tell people, if it doesn't have brakes and I can't steer it, I don't want to ride it. I never understood why others had to insist you ride it ! It's a blast,you'll love it,don't worry about it,don't be a wimp,and a host of other enticements. Never worked too well with me. I don't like it and for the most part will not participate. I never tried making up any lame excuses either. I would always say, No, I don't like that. Took a lot of kidding over that over the years.
In my later years I do ride the Ferris Wheel. Riding that is one of my earliest memories of the carnival. I vividly remember being on the Ferris wheel with my older brother,who insisted on rocking the car,and being terrified. I also remember him saying to me, " don't be scared, look at the pretty lights " the only lights I saw were stark white light bulbs on the spokes of that wheel. I have no rational explanation for my fear but I don't need one either.
The best years of the carnival are over. I enjoyed it the most when the kids where small. Riding those kiddie rides that do little besides go round and round. The look on their faces is worth the price. I do hope the tradition of the carnival continues. There were good times despite the constant nagging I received. One good thing became of that nagging however, I developed a tough skin. Don't care what you say, I ain't a ridin' ! You feel free to indulge yourself until you get sick. I'll watch and enjoy from the sideline,thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment