Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Remembering When

Back when I was just a little guy things were done just a bit differently. There were social programs, they called it " welfare " always in a hushed voice. There was a stigma attached to receiving these government handouts. Today the government issues Independence Cards ( a bit of a misnomer if you ask me) and people flash that card proudly.
That isn't what I was thinking about however. I was remembering my Great Grandfather receiving these benefits for a short time. I was too young to know all the details but I know that he did receive benefits. Back then, on a scheduled day, the government handed out boxes of food items. Much like some charities do today. They would contain the staples. Flour,sugar,canned goods and big blocks of cheese.There was also a can of peanut butter. About the size of your average can of coffee, when you opened it there would be a layer of oil on the top. You needed to mix it up before using it. It was a strong tasting peanut butter and quite thick no matter how much you stirred it. I can just remember going with my father and Great Grandfather to the place where it was given out. I remember Dad always making sure everyone knew it was for Gramp and not him !
Included in this box of food items would be a bag of corn meal. Very finely ground this meal was almost like a powder. I guess my Grandfather didn't bake or didn't like corn bread because he gave my sister and I that bag of meal to play with.
I remember being out back of the house with a garden hose and mixing that stuff up. We added dirt to the mix to firm it up. We were making corn pies.
I know we made quite a mess out there.
I know that he always gave my mother the peanut butter. I remember the can well. No label on the can, just black printing that said,USDA Peanut Butter. That was it. You cut the top out with a can opener and mom would cover it back up with a piece of aluminum foil.
What else may have been in that food box I don't know for sure. Maybe powdered milk,I seem to remember that. I just know that that is the way it was done back then. Those that needed these items were glad to get it. They came and went quickly and quietly to the hand out place. I'm sure a lot of them were a bit embarrassed to be there. Everyone got the same stuff.
A lot of changes have been made since then. Now it is ok to " look a gift horse in the mouth " back then it was not. You took what the government was kind enough to provide and was grateful. It was a different time and place. I'm thinking those that require these benefits today should learn to appreciate what they are being given.

No comments:

Post a Comment