Sunday, June 26, 2011

"One Mans Treasure"

The other day I wrote about projects. My wife and I had made a lifeguard stand for the kids. I mentioned how I loved doing projects. I come about this love honestly. Growing up, my father was always doing projects,except he didn't call them that,he called it;getting by and making do.
He bought a two bedroom house but soon needed more room. Project, add an upstairs. So he,along with my Uncle, cut the existing roof off the house, lifted it with a crane,put in walls for the second floor and sat the roof back down. Simple as that ! I was little and can only remember seeing pictures of it being done. Dad built the fireplace in the end of the house. Built the deck,and the stone barbecue in the backyard.
He had several boats. All second hand that he fixed up. He was always fixing something. He lived by the rule, if you want it done right, do it yourself. He was a demanding task master. I really didn't like working with him too much,he had a tendency to yell a lot. The thing with him was, he expected everyone to know everything he did. He genuinely thought he didn't posses any special skills when that was far from the truth. He was one of those rare people that had the knack. He could build or repair just about anything. Exception, electronics. He would be the first to tell you he knew little about that. Funny thing though,his brother worked for RCA designing televisions. I don't know if his brother could do other things or not.
So you see, the project thing comes naturally to me. I am no where near as skilled as my Dad was. I did learn a lot from him though. Enough that I can tackle most projects with confidence. I have a good foundation in basic principles. I mentioned one other time that I feel like I was born at the wrong time. I would have loved to have a fix-it shop. I think that is what I enjoy the most. Fixing something. Wish I could fix this stupid computer ! Alas,like my Dad I'm not good with electronic things. I need to see the moving parts to understand.
One thing my dad never did was to make a lasting project. I, and as far as I know, none of my brothers or sister have a single thing that he made. He made tons of things ranging from lamps to boats.Nothing however that has been saved. Everything he made or repaired was for a practical purpose. It got used until it was no longer needed or wanted. Then it was either sold or discarded.
The general feeling being, no problem, Dad can do it again.
Dad became ill and suffered from Lou Gehrigs  along with other medical issues. He was a reasonably young man. He was sixty five when he passed. He was sick for at least ten years prior. Maybe that is the reason nothing survived. Who would think at age 50 the end was so near ? I sure wish something had been saved.
It is my intent to make something for all the grandchildren to keep. It may be vain but I hope they will keep whatever it is to remember me by. I've always thought these things happen by accident and mostly they do. I have two small jars that contain a scene,like a ship in a bottle, that were originally part of a lamp. A neighbor of my Dad made them for him. They are dated 1935. I'm sure that man never imagined that one day I would have them. I also have a replica of a rug weaving loom that my Great Uncle Fred made for his mother. Who would have thought. My sister is the proud owner of a miniature log cabin built by my Great Grandfather. These objects are priceless.
I do think whatever it is that I make has to be around for awhile. I don't think you can just make something,give it to them and it have the same meaning or attachment. Thing is, I'll never really know. I'll be gone. Or maybe I will know.
Well,wonder what I'll leave behind ? Treasure or Junk ? It is all in the eye of the beholder !                               

No comments:

Post a Comment