Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Write it down

Postcard (remember those)

What is it about the written word. It somehow seems more permanent and telling of a persons character.Most time we say the same things as we write although writing it down does give us more time to contemplate exactly what it is we want to say.
We are not any smarter or insightful when we write.
I have to admit that some thoughts are better left unwritten. It is much more difficult to explain some thoughts in print than in a personal setting.
I enjoy the written word,always have,and as you can tell enjoy writing it .Each of us has a unique story to tell.No one else sees the world quite the way you do.I would like to think that I could write the next great American novel but know that isn't going to happen.
A long time ago I wrote a poem that was published in the local newspaper. Now it was published simply because I sent it in. No contest or scrutiny required. Shortly after that I had someone ask me for my autograph. The only time in my life that has happened.
The reason, I can only assume. I had a published piece of writing. The power of the written word.
For most of us signs are powerful examples of the written word,Do this,Don't do that,Open,Closed,etc.
My Great Grandfather had a habit of writing on a small chalk board ( a slate to those who remember that) whenever he left the house to inform you were he was and his expected time of return.He has long since left this world but my sister has this slate with his handwriting still on it from his last journey. The written word is indeed powerful for you can feel his presence.
Languages have come in and out of popular usage but thanks to the written word we know most of them.
Not so very long ago the average person wrote an occasional letter or card. I think this is getting to be the exception rather than the rule for the younger generation. E-Cards,text message,or maybe even a E-mail. Writing on paper with ink or pencil not so very much.
I have a postcard my Grandmother wrote to her father. It is a personal thing. I never knew my Grandmother she passed before my birth but I know she called her father "Papa" she wrote it on the postcard.
So what I'm saying is this, take the time to write a personal note or letter once in a while.Don't print your letter  WRITE IT with your own hand.. It will mean more and have a greater impact.
Now I'm not against typing it out and in my case it is a necessity since were I to write this out in cursive and scan it I highly doubt anyone could decipher it with the exception of my Mother. I read the other day a large percentage of the freshman entering college this year cannot write in cursive. That is a shame.

This card is over one hundred years old.
The message is the same today.

No comments:

Post a Comment