Thursday, September 9, 2010

Time for a change

Have you noticed the squirrels lately? They are running around quite busy collecting nuts.You know they say you can tell the weather is changing by watching the animals.Seen any wooly worms? I have and they are mostly brown,should be a mild winter.
I love this time of year with the cool mornings and warm afternoons.Not crazy about the coming winter months though.But fall now is just a pleasant experience. I love the smell of burning leaves,although you don't see that much anymore due to a variety of reasons. I even read once that the smoke from burning leaves could cause cancer ! Ain't too much that doesn't cause cancer.
The kids are back in school and it is the beginning of what I like to call," The Fundraiser Season" which runs from now until June,unless of course you join a summer activity then an automatic extension goes into effect.
Soon the geese will begin their annual journey. Not much on hunting  them but like to watch the big V formations. Amazing and God does provide them with a GPS.These are signs of winter.
Halloween is next up and the candy and decorations have been out in the stores for at least two weeks now. Kinda rushing things in my opinion but thats' the way it is .Pumpkins,hay bales and scarecrows. That is fall.I guess we put out the scarecrows to get the last bit of use out of them.No more crops to protect.Mums don't forget the Mums ! When did that tradition start? I buy them every year. I know,I know you can plant them and they will come back. Can't plant them on my front steps and digging them up every year to move them is just too much work!Buy them,enjoy them and throw them away. Use them for compost.
Time to get out the jackets and sweaters.Put those bathing suits away.Won't need them for a while.I have noticed more people tend to wear shorts almost year round even here where the climate is not temperate I assure you.No more sandals and flip flops.
It is getting dark outside earlier and earlier. Putting the comforter back on the bed.Starting to think about those comfort foods we enjoy during the cold weather months. Stews,hearty soups with warm bread and roasts.All those foods we like baked in the oven but it is too hot to turn the oven on.
Fall is my favorite time of year. Fall is the laid back season between Summers frantic pace and the doldrums of the winter.A time of out with the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment