Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Golden Age

Was just thinking about television. Now my son tells me I shouldn't talk much about old stuff.I need to be more contemporary but I'm not concerned with demographics here. I just like to run my mouth or in this case type out a few thoughts.
I don't watch a lot of television anymore.The kids are all grown and gone and have been for a number of years. Not saying exactly how many but enough. The television I do watch is mostly old man stuff like the History channel,Biography Channel,and occasionally myth busters. The news. You got the idea or should I say picture.
When I was growing up during what some call "The Golden Age" of television the evening lineup consisted mostly of family oriented shows. I Love Lucy,Gunsmoke,Father Knows Best,The Rifleman,Wagon Train,Bewitched,The Munsters,Happy Days,Honeymooners,Batman,Wild Wild West,Star Trek,Twilight Zone,That Girl,The Brady Bunch and a host of others.
All of these shows the entire family could watch together. Parents didn't have to worry about inapproiate references or scenes. The moral always was be hard working,honest,forthright,fair,and treat others with respect. Right always won out over wrong. Sometimes the lead character would offer words of advice. Father knows best and Leave it to Beaver were good for that.
Lucas McCain in the rifleman tells his son," a man never runs from a fight but that doesn't mean he runs to it either." Words to live by.
Now it seems like the Disney factory has taken over the reins. When I was young Disney was cartoons and occasionally movies. Bambi.Snow White.101 Dalmatians.
Now it seems like Disney is just focused on making pop stars. Hanna Montana,The Jonas Brothers to name two. They do have the wizards of Waverly place but then any show were the characters can do magic usually works. And the main Wizard sings too just not on the show.
The evening lineup for television now seems to be reality shows,really graphic cop shows,vampires and other things totally not suited to children. The comedy shows are bit too much for younger viewers in my opinion.
Of course in all fairness we only had two channels to chose from. Thats' right it is not a typo two channels. Channel 8 and Channel 3.
Daytime television had the soaps where they dealt with adult issues. After all what child would be indoors watching tv during the day. Rainy days we played in the house but not sitting around watching TV.
I will occasionally watch some of the old shows in reruns and they are still pretty funny.
All things change and we call it progress. In this case at least I think we should return to the Golden Age were,as a family,we could sit and watch some tv and laugh together. Might even have popcorn if you can get Mom to drag out the popcorn maker,you know the hot air type. Its' the latest rage ! One more thought. When did it go from TV dinners to Microwave meals ?

1 comment:

  1. I remember my first tv dinner like it was yesterday, with the little divided foil compartments and two pieces of chicken - thought I was in heaven! It became the rare treat when my parents had to get us a babysitter....loved it!

    ReplyDelete