Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another Tale from Grandmas house

My Grandmothers kitchen was by far the largest room in the house. I can still smell its aromas and see it in my mind. When you came in the kitchen door her wood stove,used for cooking,baking and heating was right there to your right. There was always a fire burning in it whether coal or wood. Next to it sat the box full of kindling wood. This box full of wood provided me with many hours of fun building bridges into the dining room and many other projects. The warmth of the stove and the pleasant smells made for an excellent play area. There was, however, a dark side to the stove. Underneath the oven was a small area used to store objects. Only one object was stored in there . A Goose Wing ! That's right a goose wing. It had two purposes. The primary purpose was to use it as a whisk broom when cleaning the ash out of the stove. Its secondary use though was not pleasant. It you misbehaved Grandma would put that goose wing across your backside. I don't think it hurt as much as just scared you. I still cringe at the sight of a goose wing.

1 comment:

  1. That reminde me of my great, great aunt's house next to ours - she also had a wood burning stove until she died and I loved watching her shove wood into that thing! And the other house next to us, her brother's house, still had a pump in the kitchen sink. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete