Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Don't Ask and Don't Tell

There has been a vote since I wrote this and the push to repeal this policy has failed,for now.

I see where Lady GaGa weighed in on the issue of don't ask,don't tell. I'm not a big fan of hers but I suppose she is not trying to appeal to a 57 year old white guy ! I must question her knowledge base about this social issue. Heard she did hang out with some ex servicemen that had been discharged for violating the policy. Wonder if she considered their opinion may be biased !
I'm not a physciatrist but did spend twenty years in the Navy. I feel like this experience may have given me some insight into this issue. I am of the opinion that to change this policy is to invite problems.
During my time in the service I suspected several members may have been batting for the other team. So be it. It may sound stereotypical but a heterosexual male can usually tell if he spends enough time with the other guy. Now don't get all excited I'm not saying its' wrong" I'm just sayin".
Unless, in the time since I was a 18 year old kid, attitudes about being macho and manly have shifted drastically, if you allow openly Gay guys you are asking for trouble. And it logically follows the same applies to the gals.
In my experience the majority of young men may talk a big game about what they would or would not do to a homosexual man but it is mostly bluster. Add into this however ,openly flaunting this lifestyle and the mix becomes a lot more volatile. Is it really necessary. These persons already know the attitude of most young men. It is a lifestyle choice. Don't go messing around changing this policy.
Leave it alone. No one has ever been discharged from the service because someone thought that person may be Gay. It doesn't work like that. The person has to state that they are. Known some that lied about it to get out in fact !
Fact is, this country was founded on Christian values and beliefs. Being the greatest nation on earth we tolerate other religions and lifestyle choices. That does not mean you can flaunt this in my face! I really don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home. I don't walk around informing everyone that I'm a heterosexual male. It is assumed because that is the norm. The majority of the population are heterosexual.
Certain things,whether right or wrong,are just a matter of common sense. Don't send a black man to the KKK rally. Common Sense. Don't send a white man to a Black Panther rally. Common sense. Don't go to a Christian Church wearing  satanic symbols. Common Sense.
Don't Ask and Don't Tell. Common Sense.
Why this pressing need to inform everyone ! Could it be you want the attention? That is why some children misbehave I am told. Or is it something else ? I don't know the answer to that. I do known there is no group pressing for the right to ask. Why is this ? Probably because I really don't care and it means little to me as long as you can do the job. Gays have served in the Military with honor for as long as this country has been in existence. Gays have always been part of any assemblage of man. Never in the past did they feel the need to tell anyone.
The way I see it the only reason this has become an issue is because some gay people were discharged for violating the policy. They were fully aware of the policy. They chose to violate it. Now they want to cry about it. Goes back to accepting the consequences of your actions. If I were discharged for not getting my haircut according to the policy I guess I would just have to accept that or gather up some friends and maybe a pop star or two and try to change the policy.
As much as the lawmakers think they can legislate everything they can not legislate attitudes or beliefs.
You can make all the policies you want but you will not change core values. Until everyone embraces the "Gay" lifestyle the best thing to do is; you guessed it, Don't Ask and Don't Tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment