Friday, September 17, 2010

Changing with the times !

I was having a chat with a high school classmate the other day when the subject of how things have changed entered the conversation.
I graduated from high school in 1971. Long time ago I know.
I joined the Navy that same year. Off to basic training in Great Lakes,Ill. I had never left New York state before,flown on a plane before or been completely on my own. Things were changing.
I quickly adjusted to my new surroundings and got in the routine. I came to know what was expected of me. Professionally and Socially.
Professionally you must be on time always,no excuses ! On time means on time not even a second late period. Look professional at all times. Dress and grooming standards must be followed. Know your job and perform it to the best of your abilities.
That pretty much sums up the professional side.
Now Socially the expectations were of course in line with the times. It was the 70s'. Rock and Roll baby ! Psychedelic music was coming of age. Marijuana use was common and testing for its' use had not been refined or used. Being from a small town I had heard of this drug but had never actually seen it or known anyone that had really used it. I didn't fit in with the " are you cool" crowd ! I didn't own any tee shirts with Ganja University written on them or pictures of leaves or Keep on Truckin'. Who was that character Mr. Natural or something like that.
The other major social group in the Navy,at least, was the I'm a sailor bunch ! We drink hard,party harder,and like to hang out with questionable characters and women of more questionable moral values. We work hard,fight hard,play hard. We have been everywhere,done everything . We know everyone or know someone who does. The older guys ,who incidentally are also the bosses in most cases,were in this group. I jumped on that wagon. Hitched my team as the saying goes.
I did my best to fit the mold. Succeeded too ! That phase fortunately for me did not last. I matured and got past all that.
But that period set me on course,no pun intended,to my Navy career. I retired` in 1993. Saw a lot of changes during that time.
I don't know now what the situation is like and can only speculate. I suspect, however ,that the behaviours expected of me back then would get me thrown out today ! Changes.
I can say though that I'm sure despite any and all changes made we still have the finest Navy afloat anywhere !

No comments:

Post a Comment