Monday, September 27, 2010

The Collectors

I was watching the antiques roadshow yesterday as it is one of my favorites. I like to see the antiques of all kinds and hear of their potential value.
As in most episodes they had a few toys. These were cast iron cars,trucks and an airplane. All were made in the 1920s'.I remember my father having a cast iron blimp with wheels on it. It sat on the shelf next to the fireplace for many years. He also had a Felix the Cat doll that was quite old.
It set me to wondering what will be collectible from the Grandkids generation. The majority of the toys today are plastic so I guess the paint won't come off,big problem with the older toys,bigger problem if it was lead based but thats' another discussion. We still have the action figures to collect. Old game systems I can't see becoming collectors items. Posters,yes posters can become collectible. Record albums,I mean CDs' I don't know. Now you can just download the song or entire album. Baseball cards and comic books ? That has become more of a serious Adult hobby. Funny how that evolved.
I'm not much of a collector. I have no one abiding interest. I suppose you could say I collect junk,at least that what my wife calls it. It I find it interesting I bring it home.
No one knows what will or will not become a collectors item. They like to market items as collectors items though. Models of racing cars,football helmets,baseball bats,barbie dolls, you name it. My thought is if they are marketing it as a collectors item just how collectible can it be ? Like that elusive dollar coin that is worth a fortune if we knew it was a collectors item wouldn't we have bought a few ?
But,I wonder if the antiques roadshow will have any Hanna Montana dolls on complete with the guitar and eye shadow. What about some really rad skateboards ? Maybe an PSP ?
It is interesting to note that most of the toys on the Antiques Roadshow would be enjoyed by children today. So some things never really change. The way they are made changes,the popularity comes and goes, what is acceptable may change but a child's imagination does not.
Should have held on to my" Flintstone Village" though. Another retirement opportunity lost !

2 comments:

  1. My husband loves to talk about the shoebox full of baseball trading cards that his mother threw out.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google. You have made my day! Thx again.. see it here

    ReplyDelete