Saturday, September 4, 2010

Just a thought

Was watching the television and this ad pops on,they do that a lot,about the family plan for your mobile phone.
The mother is in the mall looking lovingly at her cell phone and just beaming with apparent pride. You see,the camera moves to a young lady walking with a group of other young ladies while the announcer says," you're finally letting go " or words closely resembling that.
The implication here is that you trust your child to go out in the world on their own, the big dangerous world on the shopping mall !
My first thought was, isn't it strange that we have shopping malls so extensive it is like going off in another world somewhere ? When I was young Mom let us go uptown by ourselves,in the real world when she felt we were responsible enough.
Then the announcer tells us, with the new GPS tracking system on this phone you can spy on her every move. The implication here being you can give your child a false sense of, I trust you. Isn't that wonderful.
Now I know a lot of you are thinking that you are just being responsible parents and it is for the childrens' safety. I don't see it that way.
I see it as another way of putting the spin on things to sell products.
The old its' for the children rountine usualy works quite well. Use it to justify lots of things. State Lotteries for one. Maybe buy some candles,"its' for the children" You can get pizza kits,cookie mix,popcorn,candies of all varities,books,magazines,gift wrapping paper and a host of other products and the proceeds always are for the children. Like I said an effective gambit.
The bottom line for me was I should track my children so I can know there whereabouts. I don't think so ! I trusted my children because they earned that trust. If they hadn't then they stayed in my sight at all times.  Bottom Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment