Wednesday, November 30, 2016

an agitated American

I sat and wrote for over an hour. Then I reread it and discovered I had said nothing. I hit the delete button. I do try to say something entertaining or informative. I don't think many would be interested in my day to day activities. My life isn't very exciting. I listen to the news and don't have anything to add to that. The fires in Tenn. are just awful, the plane crash with the soccer players is horrific. You already knew all of that. Donald Trump is tweeting about the flag. That is a controversy. Although I hate to admit it I tend to agree with him that there should be some punishment for that action. Yes, the supreme court said it was fine. For over two hundred years we held a different view, at least 48 of the fifty states did. I'm not saying you can't protest, give your speeches or whatever. I am saying if you don't have enough common sense and empathy to understand the deep emotional response you will create by that action , it should be punishable by law. If calling another person an offensive name can be considered a hate crime and punished as such, how can flag burning not be a hateful expression ? Shouldn't it be a hate crime ? Oh, it may be legal but it is right ? As I have said on many occasion you cannot legislate morality or common sense. I can punish you for lack of both however. Isn't that what we are doing when we prohibit saying certain words and phrases ? Isn't that what we are doing when we punish those folks that display offensive signs, symbols and flags ? We are removing the Ten Commandments from government property because why ? It is offensive. Well burning that flag is offensive to me. The supreme court says I must allow it, that is the law of the land.
 Well, I think America is having an identity crisis. We don't know what we want to be anymore. We mustn't be exclusive, no inclusiveness is our motto. But being inclusive means allowing anything and anyone right ? Is it that simple ? Maybe we should just abandon the whole concept of government. How about a co-op. Yeah that'll work. The ones wanting to work can work, the ones wanting to live off the co-op can just do that. Hey, short of killing each other we can just do our thing, unrestrained. Say whatever you like, unless it is offensive, desecrate only what is symbolic to the co-op, everything else would be a hate crime. Oh, I know we will just make it illegal to hate. We can legislate emotion right ? That is why it is okay to burn the flag, that won't cause any emotional response. It's the law.
Well, I guess I am still angry. Not sure what the anger really is, but recognize it is there. Maybe it is this Flag burning thing again. It is like a thorn in my side. Every once in a while it bothers me. I don't think there is much I can do to change it though. Perhaps if I had millions of dollars to have the case reheard in the court I could effect a change. The thing is, it was just an opinion. We the people have the final say. Maybe it is time we spoke up, Donald Trump has, and is being vilified by some for it. Sorry I agree with him on this one. I couldn't bring myself to vote for him or her but that doesn't mean I can't agree with some of their views. I also know some will call me a Trump supporter and perhaps not wish to speak to me anymore. Oh well, I have never been one much for just saying what people want to hear. I offer my opinions freely, you don't have to accept them.
 Was this entertaining or informative ? Only if you are interested in my opinion. But I guess if you took the time to read it , it was something. I'm not much of an activist. I generally accept things the way they are. Some would call it complacency or indifference. I don't see it that way. I'm just watching, waiting and learning. I offer my opinions, which is a passive thing really, and take little action. I do remind myself, frequently, that they are just my opinions. There is a fine line between activists and extremists. For now I'm just an opinionated old man. I'm fine with that. I'm just a bit agitated at the present time but it'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment