Thursday, December 1, 2016

recitiude

 I got up this morning with the Flag thing still on my mind. I was determined to not write about it further. I feel like I have made my feelings known. I started writing twice and both times I wound up mentioning that. Now I have allowed that determination to be overcome and will express some more thoughts. You know a very famous man, made a very famous speech in Washington. This man spoke of freedom and his dream. Yes, I'm thinking about Martin Luther King. I'm especially thinking about when he said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. The sentiment being the " content of their character. " And what does it say of a persons' character if they desecrate our flag. What is the content of their character ?
 Yesterday I heard many say, I don't like it, I know it is wrong, but it is the law. What does that say about their character ? That isn't the America I grew up in. The America I grew up in would acknowledge that wrong and provide penalties for improper behavior. Taking the defensive position, hiding behind an opinion issued by the court, is taking the easy way out. Martin Luther King called for peaceful protests. He wasn't burning any flags or starting any riots. No, he stood up and spoke his truth proudly. His struggle was for the African Americans. He was a man of character. A deep abiding moral character that wished only to right a wrong. Yeah, he got shot for it but he stood up for what was right and just.
 We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
 Recognize that ? It is the final paragraph of the Declaration of the United States of America. Note that it is a Congress, appealing to God for the rectitude of their intentions, by the authority of the people, that is making this declaration. Well by God Congress can once again, with the rectitude of their intentions, declare it illegal to desecrate the Flag of the United States of America. So to all of you that say, I know it is wrong, I don't like it either, tell Congress to change that law. Examine the content of your character that you would acknowledge an incorrect action but validate that same action with law.
Note also they declare by the " rectitude " of their actions. And what is rectitude ? morally correct behavior or thinking, righteousness synonymous with : goodness, virtue, morality and honor. Isn't that what Martin Luther King was talking about as well ? And to what did this congress, under the authority of the people place their reliance upon ? Divine Providence that's what. What is divine providence ? Gods' intervention in the world that's what. God bless America ! I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Yes I'm a Christian. My rectitude is founded in that and so is the United States of America as declared by the people and so eloquently expressed by the writers of that declaration. To have the Supreme court declare that dishonoring our Flag is acceptable is an abrogation of their purpose. They are sworn to uphold the Constitution not abridge it. We the people give authority to that court and indeed to the congress to act on our behalf. They are subservient to us, we are not bound by their decisions. You can poo-paw all you want about it being the law and it is an expression of freedom. It is nothing more than a desecration !

 Natural law derives from the nature of man and the world. It is discoverable through the use of reason in accord with nature, eternal and unchangeable, and applicable to all persons. Natural law theory supports universally shared moral principles and norms that raise man above relativism and subjectivism.

Isn't that what we are talking about here ? We all agree burning the flag is morally wrong. I've heard no one say otherwise. Yet those same folks repeat, " it's the law. " What law ? Not a natural law of man. Reason tells us that action ( flag burning ) will be met with anger, indignation and possibly violence. It is my belief Americans do share common moral principles and norms. Morals are not a product of religion. Morals are a natural law, understood by all mankind. You know, the golden rule.

Since natural law can be derived from what is inherent in human nature, it would be valid even if God did not exist. Thomas Aquinas has explained that there exists a system of moral beliefs accessible to human reason and independent of divine revelation. Man has a particular nature involving specific natural needs and the ability to use reason to recognize what is good for man in accordance with those needs. 
  
To institute any law in opposition to natural law is a mistake. It is the product of flawed logic. I say the court reached a flawed decision when they decided, by a narrow margin of one vote, that a person has a right to be morally offensive in our society and go unpunished for that action. Does freedom mean we abandon the natural law of man ? The purpose of law is to preserve freedom and moral agency. Each is dependent upon the other for proper functioning. What is moral agency ? Moral agency is the ability to distinguish between right and wrong and be held " accountable " for those actions. So you see it has nothing to do with God, although I would argue otherwise simply because of my belief. The point being, natural law is not dependent upon God to exist. Natural law defines morality just as readily as any religious doctrine.
 Now I realize all of my writing, ranting and raving will change nothing. There are those that will agree with me and support me. There are others that will feel the opposite. It really makes little difference in the long run. My passions flare up and die down. I began writing these blogs to share my thoughts and memories with whoever wishes to read them. Then they changed into a sort of commentary. It is my hope that one day some ancestor of mine will read these writings and gain insight into who I was. A glimpse into the past through the eye of someone living it. I'd be interested to know the thoughts of my ancestors on the topics of their day. What did great grandfather think of suffrage ? What of prohibition ? That type of thing. My ancestors, should they choose to read this, will certainly know where I stand on flag burning. Will it remain an issue or just fade into the past. One never knows for sure do they. I want it known which side of history I stood on. That is important to me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment