Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Offended by the obvious

 Yesterday I was accused of being an internet troll. I have heard that term before but certainly never considered I may be such. So it is off to Wikipedia to check the " authorized " meaning. In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Well, I certainly have posted my feelings about a topic that some took as inflammatory, extraneous or off topic, I can't deny that. As far as intending to provoke an emotional response I've always felt that was the purpose of saying something in the first place. I mean, if you don't want a response what's the point ? But, they are talking about an unwanted emotional response on the part of the reader. In other words a Troll is someone that just yanks your chain. Okay, I get it. Guess I yanked that persons' chain yesterday. I did find it very chivalrous of him as he was defending his friend, or so it was stated. I dismissed this person after a short while. That is what I do to those I consider irrelevant. I know that is a rather unchristian approach, everyone is valuable in their own way, but this person is just irrelevant to my world. I do believe later on I pointed out an old axiom, sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. It would appear many have never been taught that, or have forgotten. They have even made laws about it nowadays ! LOL, I think we are in trouble folks.
 Yes, I find it amusing that so many are offended by the obvious these days. It is almost like they never had a childhood and are just discovering these things. Things like name calling, bullying, and gasp, a difference of opinion. They are so offended ! There is prejudice in the world. This one really seems to get folks worked up. Why prejudice is wrong and people have prejudices ! Unbelievable. How can it be ? Well I know it is a simplistic answer but people tend to not like and be wary of anything that is different. Yup, it's true. If it is different humans are generally cautious of whatever it is. It is the survival instinct in all of us. At least the ones with common sense that is. And please do not confuse common sense with intelligence. They are different things entirely. Also do not confuse having a " degree " with either of those attributes. Degrees have little to do with common sense and intelligence. A degree is an award for completing a course of study. It may or may not indicate that you learned anything. As my own dear father was fond of pointing out, there are a lot of educated damn fools out there.  I concur and have met a number of them over the years.
 I do have a tendency to sarcasm. It is just a part of my personality. I do think you learn best by example and sarcasm provides a comparison. I also know it usually doesn't go well on the internet or in any written form. My writing style, if that is what you want to call it, is conversational. I have always found it to be not much of a conversation if I just agree with everything that is said. I call that listening. As a result I tend to leave comments to inspire ( at least in my own thinking ) conversation. As a general rule I am truthful. That is also the reason I seldom change my mind about certain topics because it is what I believe. I really don't leave comments to just start things. Something I have been accused of as well. And my response is, yes I'm trying to start a discussion. It really is all a matter of perspective, isn't it ?
 All of this offense of the obvious provides much fodder for my sarcasm. If I were Bill Murray or Redd Foxx I would be revered. But my sarcasm isn't as biting or ironic. There is so much more that folks should be offended by,but choose to ignore. The trend now is to exploit the past for whatever advantage it may provide. I should be compensated for what took place in the distant past. I should be compensated for my race, creed, color, gender or sexual orientation. Those offenses are easily substantiated by history. Hey, we can even rewrite that history should that prove advantageous. But I had it pointed out to me by an old classmate that I live in a lily white tower. Yes, I suppose I do view things from that perspective as I am a white, male American, the vilest of creatures at the present time. It is the white guys that caused all the problems in the world. Unless I choose to be contrite regarding my race, I'm offensive. Well that is my cross to bear. Combine that with my propensity to make moral and ethical judgements and I'm just an unsavory character. ( more sarcasm )
 What to do ? What to do ? I say quit being offended by everything and move on. Or I suppose you could be like me, a troll. I just post stuff to rile everybody up. I'm not saying what I say is always correct, but it is what I'm thinking. But in case any of you were wondering, I do love puppies, Jesus, America, disabled folks, and respect all religions. I don't scroll past and risk being heartless or uncaring. People of color were abused in the past and women were also denied their rights. The indigenous folks were conquered by the white guys for their land and lied to, cheated and almost eradicated. Yes, it all happened. The holocaust was real, not all Muslims are terrorists. I have probably left something else obvious out of this but not on purpose. I will confess to one thing however. I secretly wish for my white privilege to kick in and make my life an idyllic paradise. I wonder when that will happen ?

No comments:

Post a Comment