Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thank You

 Happy Thanksgiving. Today we will all celebrate by eating way too much. I pray that everyone gets to spend time with whatever family members they can muster. Don't misunderstand me, I like the food part of this holiday as much as the next guy, but I like the idea it brings family together better. I think we should have a national reunion day. A day set aside to just get with your family, no special meals, no gift giving, just get together for the sake of getting together. It would a national holiday and illegal for anyone to work, anywhere. If you didn't buy it the day before, too bad. Well, except for the hospitals. You gotta have the hospitals open. I don't see any way around that one, sorry Doctors and Nurses. Oh, and the military, police and firefighters. Yeah, they gotta work too. Then you have the folks that support all those folks, dispatchers and such. When you think about it there are lots of folks that just don't get a day off. Hey, maybe we could call it appreciation day, instead of reunion day. Those of us not working taking the day off to appreciate those that do. Of course that doesn't do much for the ones working now does it ? I'll have to rethink this whole thing now.
 They say Thanksgiving is the most traveled holiday of the year. Oh yeah, we Americans will travel for a good meal. Why we came clear across an ocean the first time. I hear the meal was worth it though. I guess that is why Americans invented the drive through. That way we could travel and eat at the same time. When you have a country as big as ours that does become a necessity. There is a good variety to choose from as well. Isn't America great ? If only my ancestors had set up a drive through on the Oregon trail. I'd be rich today ! But Thanksgiving is a day to get the family together. It began as a celebratory feast with the Native Americans. The first ones lasted three days ! I guess they hadn't thought up the idea of a long weekend yet. So you could say you are supposed to invite guests. I guess as sentiments changed we didn't want those folks at the table. Rather ironic isn't it ? Time and traditions change. I remember the days of only seeing Santa Claus at the end of todays parade. And he disappeared after Christmas eve too ! Now, you might see the jolly old elf anytime, anyplace. Kinda takes the magic out of it for me.
 Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday. We have a parade and eat. Those two things are always good. The Christmas music begins in earnest tomorrow ! Not that I haven't heard a few strains of jingle bells already, but it goes up full blast tomorrow. Black Friday and cyber Monday. Neither mean all that much anymore. Manufactured " holidays " is what I call them. In the same category as those made up ones by Hallmark to sell greeting cards. Yeah, there is a card for that was around long before, there's an " app " for that. I haven't looked but I'm sure someone will come up with an app to get apps.
 Happy Thanksgiving to all. Eat your full and take a nap. Get up from that nap and eat some more. That's what the day is about. Enjoy your family. Now, let's think about a " family reunion " holiday. How could we make that happen. I guess we would all have to go where our family members were working to include them. I guess it had best be in the summer so we could be outside. Have it like a picnic. Hmm, something to think about. To all of you working on this day, Thank You.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment