Monday, June 30, 2014

Thoughts on Tithing

A friend has requested my opinion on a touchy subject. I am flattered to be asked and what follows is my best effort at explaining my position. The issue is Tithing. As I understand it I was asked if I thought tithing was a requirement to being a good Christian. My friend had explained to me the basic tenets of a sermon she has heard. The basis in scripture was from Malachi. In Malachi it says you shall be cursed with a curse, if you do not Tithe. That is the old testament. In the new testament no such requirement is mentioned. I am certainly no Biblical scholar and so had to reference the question. In 2 Corinthians 9:7  it says, every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. I confess to just having read those passages and find them supporting of my thoughts.
I will start by saying I believe the Old Testament is more of a history lesson. The history is of utmost importance to the understanding of belief. The thing is, for me anyway, the New Testament is a new covenant with God. Jesus, by his life,death and resurrection fulfilled the promise of the Old Testament.
All that being said I will continue with tithing. I do not believe I am under under obligation, from God, to tithe anything at all. As in all things with God his love is unconditional and therefore he would not place a burden upon me. The obligation to tithe, that is " to give " is a moral one. It is a gift from me to God to the betterment of mankind. God is in no need of tithes. The tithes are for others in need. The amount and frequency with which I choose to tithe is between myself and my God. In the scripture it says clearly, every man according to the purpose in his heart. That is the key, the intent in your heart. As the gift a child may give you of nothing more than a stone, its' value is ten fold greater than a gift purchased at the store with the intent to impress. Tithes are the same way. I may fool my neighbor but I can not fool God. You cannot lie to God, or to yourself ! To give with no expectation of return other than the satisfaction of having done so, is the intent of tithes.
What I am saying is that you should give what you feel you should give. Give with a joyful heart for the scripture says, God loves a cheerful giver. You can not gain anything unless your intent is pure in spirit. Give so that others may come to understand. A tithe need not be money. You can tithe in many ways. Your contribution to society may be your tithe. Giving of yourself, not for gain of any kind, is a precious tithe indeed. A kind word, a smile of encouragement, helping your fellow man, all contribute to the glory of God. Is that not what the purpose of a tithe is ? Spreading the word and being an example to others is also tithing. If our intent,our thoughts and our actions are pure will not the reward be forthcoming ? God says so, all you have to do is believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment