Thursday, June 19, 2014

Not good enough

A couple weeks ago I wrote a blog about using the phrase, "it is no worse than." Yesterday I heard it being used again as an excuse to do something. Once again I felt the need to point out a few things wrong with that attitude. First and foremost in my mind is this, should we not be striving for something that is better than, rather than, it is not worse than ? Are not changes made to better a situation ? We should learn from our mistakes, revise past errors, and strive for improvement. To settle for, it is no worse, is to resign. To me, it is akin to saying, I give up, I can do no better.
The phrase smacks of a compromise. I know that one thing is wrong or bad. Now I wish to allow this other thing that I know is wrong or bad. I can justify the latter by comparing it to the former. It is no worse than. Does that make sense ? I fail to see the logic. In my mind there is no validity to the argument. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Each item must be examined on its' own merits. Its' relative worth compared to anything else is completely irrelevant. 
It is my belief that those that would use this phrase as justification for an action, have no other valid argument to use. They often start spouting a bunch of meaningless statistics. Many times they attempt to justify the consequences of this proposed action by showing some perceived benefit. A favorite is, it will reduce arrests for this crime. Yup, making something legal will keep you from being arrested for it, but it will not make the action appropriate. In other words, just because it is legal doesn't make it right ! It also doesn't make it a good choice. The prison population will be reduced if we do not place people in prison. That's logical. Raise the speed limit and you won't get a speeding ticket either. I could go on but you see the point here.
The bottom line is this, there is right and wrong. The choice must be made. We should, no must, strive for the best choices. We need to improve, not settle for, " it is no worse than." That ; is not good enough !  

No comments:

Post a Comment