Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A sad goodbye

We went to the fifth grade graduation ceremony last evening. It didn't disappoint. All the children did a wonderful job, so grown up now. Many of those little faces are familiar to me, I don't know their names but could see the years in them. How could it be ? With Mark and Morgan it happened slowly, yet still overnight. With these other, nameless children, it just happened ! It is almost as if I had slept for five years, a Rip Van Winkle, effect. As I watched those kids sing a song and accept their awards and rewards I was proud of them all. I couldn't help but think the future of America stands before me. It looks bright.
I'm thinking I'm going to miss elementary school. I sat in that cafeteria/auditorium and memories came back. I have had lunch in that same cafeteria for every Grandparents day since the 2006-2007 school year. Written down it doesn't seem that long ago. A look at the calender shows otherwise, it the 2013-2014 school year ! I remember the Christmas sing a longs in that auditorium as well. The giant map of the United States painted on the wall,each state numbered in the proper order, I can see it now. And there are pictures and drawings of Bees' everywhere. In one classroom there is a giant bee hive ! It is the theme of Greensboro Elementary. Be Positive, Be Prepared, Be respectful. The " mascot " ; a bee ! Would you expect anything else ? In the last seven years there have been very few assemblies and events I have not attended at that school. I've delivered so many cupcakes and cookies the ladies in the office know me ! The next school year will not see Grandpa with the goodies.
After the program was complete we all went to the media center. There was cake and cookies. Pictures were taken and a few tears were shed. The teachers and students meeting on common ground. They have a few days left in the classroom but the academics is over for this year. Now it is time to clean up. Somehow I am reminded of a Barney song,sung during preschool years, Clean Up Clean Up Everybody Everywhere Clean Up Clean Up Everybody do their share. Before we left for the evening Morgan wanted her picture taken with the principle, Mr. Sutton. She grabbed my hand and took me over to him. He posed with her and remarked what a delight she was to have in his school. As she took my hand I couldn't help but remember, I held her hand the first day she went to this school, a scared little girl, now I wonder just who is holding whose hand ? And time moves ever forward.

Mogans' farewell poem.



No comments:

Post a Comment