Sunday, June 15, 2014

Fathers Day

Today is fathers day. A day to celebrate the Dads of the world. I have received my fathers day congratulations and well wishes. I appreciate them all. I do feel qualified to speak somewhat on the subject of being a Dad. It is not the creation of life that makes one a father. The role of father must be earned. To be called father is an honor.
I have been blessed to watch my own children grow. My boys became men. They married and became fathers. It is their children, my grandchildren that is the reward and proof of my being a father. Fathers day is not really a day for me to celebrate, it is a day for me to be thankful. I have much to be thankful for. Becoming a Dad can be a scary thing and it should be. It is not a contract to enter into lightly. And it is a contract, a contract for life. One does not stop being a father,ever. Even in death a fathers influence will continue. Through succeeding generations the father has an impact. My own Dad has passed and so that leaves myself as patriarch of the Reichart clan ! What a responsibility. In the biblical sense the word patriarch means the first of the family. The founding father of your " tribe. " The implication being we should seek the advice of the patriarch. In reality it is usually the eldest living Dad. Wow, that would be me.
As the years pass I can only hope that I remain worthy of the title. To earn the respect of your children,grandchildren and by Gods' grace I hope to see great grandchildren. It will be an honor and a privilege denied to many to be able to hold the patriarch position. Yes, I am proud to be a father. I have seen my sons grow and there children grow. Judging by their accomplishments I have done well. There is no shame in taking pride in a job well done and so today I am proud ! I see the achievements of the grandchildren and can only say, the future looks bright for the Reichart clan !
So I say to all the Dads out there, Happy Fathers Day. Enjoy your successes. More importantly however, discharge your responsibility. Fulfill that contract. It is the best deal I have ever made in my life !

No comments:

Post a Comment