Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Conversations

I am lucky to have some friends with whom I can freely exchange ideas. By that I mean, discuss topics without anyone getting upset by it. The free exchange of thoughts is a wonderful thing. I do believe for most of us it does require effort however. I think it is in our nature to want to vigorously defend our thoughts and statements. There are times when I am surprised about that. The reality is that it really makes little difference in the scheme of things if you disagree on the finer points in life. As long as we all agree on the basic tenets, the rest is just details.
From what I read on social media I believe this " free exchange " is becoming harder to find. A lot of the comments I see in reply to others are nothing short of attacks. In some cases it is all out war. Quoting and misquoting facts and figures to support their ideas, some reply with absolute venom. It would seem the tactic now is to use a blitzkrieg type assault to win you over.
I admit that there are times when I feel the need to defend my position. I do try to do so in a civil fashion. There have been times when my patience and understanding were stretched to the max and there are times when I have failed. There are those that know how to bait the hook as it where. In a lot of those cases I think the person just wants to draw the attention to themselves. Any advertising is good advertising, isn't that the adage ? We are all subject to that at times.
As a result of all this hostility in conversation I see groups forming. Groups of like minded individuals doing nothing more than reinforcing each others ideas. The problem lies where no new ideas are allowed into the group. Although it is less pleasant I find myself venturing into discussion with others all the time. I can not help but leave a comment here and there. It is a compulsion of mine. Sometimes I am attacked as a fool, and worse, and at others I have elicited a positive response. Naturally I prefer the latter. The question here is, just how vigorously should one defend their position ? With those that I do not know that attack with a fury I seldom respond. I can see nothing positive coming from it. If the same person where to respond with an inquisitive tone, I will return. I see no point in engaging in a shouting match or attempting to belittle the other person. My normal response to an attack will either be silence, or if really offended, I will leave a sarcastic remark.
I believe what I am talking about here is called " conversation. " I have heard that conversation is becoming a lost art. On some level I have to agree with that. All this information at our fingertips has changed the discussion, that much can not be denied. In the past one had to rely on your own memory of the facts and draw your own conclusions about things. Now it is possible to just Google facts and even opinions ! I believe time spent with just our thoughts is becoming less. We have too many distractions. We need time to think for ourselves and consider. That is where the word considerate comes in. Something else that is becoming harder to find,consideration.
The good conversationalist can discuss any issue and come away feeling refreshed. That is because the good conversationalist knows how to influence others thoughts without ruffling feathers. Communication is the key. You can not communicate by using brute force. Not only is it ineffective but it is exhausting. The free exchange of ideas is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment