Friday, May 23, 2014

Transparency

Oh my goodness I guess I'll go out on a limb here and state my opinion. I was watching the news and saw it on social media as well, burger king is changing their logo. No longer are they saying," having it your way." The new advertising catch phrase is going to be, " BE YOUR WAY. " That's right, that's what there advertising executives came up with. I read an extensive explanation about the logic and thinking behind this change. It was pointed out that " have it your way" was a slogan all about the burger. You know the actual item they are trying to sell, whereas, " be your way ", is all about you. Have it your way is wrong because it doesn't embrace individuality or diversity. In fact, it is a bit selfish ! Now " be your own way " celebrates the individual and their originality. You can " be you. " That is the reason for the change.
Well here is where it gets a little touchy. When I heard the new slogan " be your own way " my immediate thought was, that's a bit ghetto. Gasp, I know a stereotypical thought from an older white guy. The truth of the matter is there is a certain ethnic group in our country that has a habit of using the verb " be " in place of the proper form " are " as in, you be, we be, where they be. It is similar to a southerner saying ya'll or a California valley girl with their expressions. It is not a hateful thing, just an observation.
It occurred to me that perhaps Burger King wanted to appeal to a certain demographic. Think about it. McDonalds' has changed the image of Ronald McDonald. He is no longer a clown. Now is more akin to a hipster. Their restaurants are McCafes' now. They feature lattes, frappes and the healthier food choices. Most have free wi-fi. Just who do you think they are trying to appeal too ? Burger King is their largest competitor. Could it be that Burger King is really targeting a specific group ? Or even another emerging group that is different but wanting to be the same ? Gasp and double gasp. To me this whole new ad campaign is pretty transparent. That is not to say it isn't smart marketing but don't try to spin it another way. I'm thinking I might be offended. What do you think ? The other burning question is, Where the King be at ?


No comments:

Post a Comment