Monday, May 19, 2014

Rambling Randomly

I was pleased to hear that I was missed on Facebook while I was on vacation. It is always nice to know that others think about you. The comment that struck me was something like, it has been less social around here since you went on vacation. That started me thinking just a bit. My comment in return was, there is less controversy too. Then I began to think about how some act on this social media. Here it is, an opportunity to present yourself in any fashion you wish, and a lot choose to behave badly. I wonder why you would choose to do that. I also wonder about those that are in groups ( in person ) all on social media at the same time, not interacting with one another. Some even sending messages to others in that same group !
As for me, unless I am looking something up or playing a game I become quickly bored with social media. I much prefer to interact with others in some fashion. I admit that sometimes causes drama or controversy. There are those that take exception to my comments and/or observations. I never intentionally do this, but it happens. I just don't find conversation with myself very stimulating. I seldom have differing views on a subject, know what I mean ? If I find myself discussing a subject with myself it causes concern.
I think that some people haven't figured out that social media, like the rest of the world, is not all about you. Yes, I like to post my pictures and videos. Yes, I like to brag about the grandchildren and my accomplishments. Yes, I write this blog. It is just in my observation that if you keep it all about you, then the result is, you are the only one talking !
It has been said that my generation is the " me " generation. Looks like our kids are taking that to a whole new level ! But then again maybe I am the one suffering under the delusion that social media should be social. Is it really a society of one ? Should I find you offensive in some way I can just block you. There, problem solved. I don't need to be concerned with learning social skills anymore, that is so old fashioned. I can now work from home,shop from home and even find a mate from home. All I need is my I-phone, smart phone, laptop, I-Pad or I-Pod or a notebook. There are probably other devices too but those will suffice. I can now insulate myself from the company of others that I find undesirable, for whatever reason, and just enjoy myself !
I wish I could say with complete honesty that I am different. That is not the case. I sometimes find myself disappointed that I get no response or reaction at all. It is during those times I need remind myself of what I said earlier, the internet and social media is not just about me. It truly is the proverbial two edged sword. I love to engage people in conversation but then there was one I eventually blocked. A failure on my part. On the other hand I have avoided the company of those I don't want to be around in the real world as well. That is a form of blocking too. There are things I am aware of that I find strange. I post a picture or video and then want to see how many likes it gets. Why ? What's up with that ? Reaching out for acceptance or encouragement ? I'm betting a shrink would have those answers. Why do I get upset when someone posts something that I don't like ? I mean, what is the point ? I know that others find certain language funny and commonplace and that same language I find inappropriate. Why do I sometimes feel compelled to comment on that ? No one is ever going to say, I'm sorry you are correct and I will change my behavior and choice of words. That is not a realistic expectation.
I hear the younger crowd is now using something called instagram instead of Facebook. Facebook I hear is becoming the domain ( no pun intended ) of the older set. My set. You would think that as a social network of comparatively the same age grouping the behaviors would be similar. In my experience that is not the case at all. I am constantly surprised by some of what comes out of the mouth of my contemporaries. I shouldn't be. Some I knew in high school and they acted no different then. I'm sure some think the same about me. Others my age I have only known a few years and have never met in person. Some of the ideas and concepts they profess totally baffle me. Surely they post some things just to be incendiary ! No way could they believe that. And there are those I find contradictory in their own statements day to day. One day they are posting Christian messages and the next something totally opposite. Are they that confused or trying to fabricate an image ? Perhaps they are being less than honest, with us and themselves.
This post turned into quite a ramble. I do think one could write a thesis about this social media stuff. Somebody probably already has. I just try to take it at face value. ( No pun intended ) I enjoy posting my stuff and making my commentary. It was nice to know that I was missed. I believe that is a basic human desire, to be wanted, or is it accepted ? I guess it is both. I'm still thinking about what it is I am trying to say here. I think I'll leave it up to you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment