Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Changes and Choices

I was pleased to see that the supreme court upheld the practice of offering a prayer before town meetings and other public assemblies. It was a close decision by a vote of 5 to 4. The majority opinion was that it did not violate the separation of church and state. It does say a lot however when one considers that four of our justices would have struck down that right. It is beyond my comprehension how any supreme court justice could reach that conclusion. I am afraid it does not bode well for the future of our country.
Each justice is required to take two oaths before being sworn in. Both of those oaths end with, " so help me God. " By saying that are you not then affirming that there is a God ? Then, believing that, how could you not ask for his guidance during town meetings or other public assemblies ? Apparently four of those that took that oath feel that you should not ! 
Now there are restrictions that the court wishes to apply to this right. You can not ask others to join your religion and/or sect and you cannot appeal directly to Jesus. Saying the name of Jesus out loud seems to be offensive to some. Reminds me of when Jesus said to Peter, before the cock crows three times you will deny my name. But I am happy nonetheless that prayer will remain. I hope that it remains so for all future generations. 
This case stemmed from two people that felt offended. They wanted to participate in local government, their right, as they pointed out. I agree with that, that is the basis for a Republic, the public participation in government. They felt saying a prayer before the meeting was treating them unfairly. They are atheists. They stated by not joining in they felt that others were trivializing them. They felt pressure to conform to the standard or custom. Do we all not feel that way in certain instances ? Perhaps I am a nudist, do I not have to conform, wear clothing, at least in public, to that custom or standard ? It sounds ridiculous but you see my point here. Had they chosen to just stand silently would anyone have known any different ? I do not understand this insistence to attempt to force their private beliefs and customs upon me. Prayer in the United States of America is an accepted social practice. The practice of our religion is a right guaranteed us by the constitution. It is also a private matter. That is why we can practice our faith in any way we see fit. That is the real meaning of separation of church and state. The state will not endorse any one religion or lack thereof, period, end of discussion. A generic prayer spoken before a public assembly is not an endorsement by government, but by the people. You are free to not join in. In America, whether you choose to accept it or not, we are predominately christian. It is the custom of Christians to pray. Quite a simple concept really.
To work and  live in the community with you I do not need to know the private areas of your life. I do not need to know what your religious views are, what your sexual preference is, or what political party you affiliate with. Should you choose to share that information with me, or the community,that is your choice. If those views are then not met with enthusiasm do not be offended. If those views become important to me, in our relationship, I will ask you. That is how I believe this stuff should work. 
I do think the court got it right this time. I wish it had been a unanimous decision. I agree with the right to offer a prayer for guidance during these public meetings. I agree that those prayers should not be a revival meeting. I agree that just because everyone is doing it, I don't have to. It is a choice. We need to keep in mind however that we must live with our choices as well. My choice is as valid as yours. Should you feel that your choice is somehow being perceived as wrong, perhaps you should examine the choice. No matter how many times you stick your hand in the fire you will get burned. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment