Sunday, May 25, 2014

Traditions

There is no parade for Memorial Day here in Greensboro,Md. I have been here for over twenty years now and there has never been one. I haven't found anyone living here that remembers Greensboro having a parade. There will be no ceremony either. No twenty one gun salutes or solemn speeches. In all of Greensboro a red poppy can not be found. I write about this every year and every year I am saddened by it. Two years ago we did have a Veterans Day parade, but not the following year. No interest and no participation. It is something I do not understand. There is no shortage of Veterans here, no shortage of patriotism. Greensboro is a rural community with a love of God and country, so why this absence ? I have no explanation.
The truth is Greensboro has its' own traditions and they are different than my own. The little league parade is the big event here, signaling the beginning of summer. That parade alternates between being held in Greensboro and a neighboring town. The next town over, Ridgely, will hold its' annual strawberry festival over the Memorial Day weekend. That is a big event. In Greensboro the Fireman's Carnival, held in conjunction with the Little League parade, will be well attended. The fourth of July fireworks signal the end of that event. There will be no parade for the fourth of July. There will be a parade for Christmas. That is pretty much the calender for here.
I expect if you were born and raised here it is what you have come to expect. It is just a cycle that you become accustomed to and anticipate. Traditions are ingrained and a part of us. Traditions are something meant to be shared, yet remain personal. I miss the traditions of my youth. I will hold my own little ceremony to commemorate the fallen veterans Memorial Day. I do not know of any veterans interred here in Greensboro that paid the ultimate price. It is something I should research and perhaps raise awareness. Traditions are difficult things to change or to start. In fact traditions must be planted and then cultivated . Traditions must be tended to and nurtured. If that isn't done, they will die. The most difficult part is getting them to take root. I wonder if anyone here has ever tried planting them ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment