Saturday, May 24, 2014

Along the way

Isn't it strange how it takes no effort to be angry, but requires effort to be happy ? I wonder why that should be so ? Being a Christian I can only blame that on man himself. Surely it was not the way God intended. According to the Bible we were naked and happy in the garden. All that was asked of us was to not eat of the forbidden fruit. We ate it ! So you would have to say it is our fault.
It also seems to me there are those out there that make efforts to ruin your happiness. I am not saying it is an intentional thing, but it sure does happen a lot. There you are, going along all fat,dumb and happy and bam, somebody trips you up. It requires effort on your part to just let it go. There are days that seem like a constant battle. It can become frustrating. A few deep breaths and a muttered prayer can help however. I find myself muttering more every day; and praying. I had hopes the drama of youth would fade away but it doesn't look like that is happening. Is that why old men are grouchy ? I'm beginning to relate to that.
Paul Dunn said,and I quote; " Happiness is a journey not a destination; happiness is to be found along the way, not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over and it's too late. The time for happiness is today not tomorrow. " I think he is saying enjoy the little things along the way and find your happiness there. In the nineteen sixties there was a saying, " keep on trucking. " I think that is saying the same thing. It may take a few extra steps to avoid those that would spoil your happiness but just keep on truckin'.
Now I do believe that God knows everything. I believe it was all part of the plan. He knew we couldn't resist that fruit. That is also why he made it so that anything worth having is worth working for. Happiness is no exception. Anger now, is not worth anything but is a destructive force, that is why it comes so easily. This lesson is being lost. The result is the unrest we all are feeling today. Too many things given and not earned. To find the peace we seek we must work for it. Much like happiness it is to be found along the way. Do not strive to change the landscape but find the beauty that already exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment