Saturday, May 31, 2014

Perceived Success

We are, to a certain degree, whatever others perceive us to be. That perception is gained by the clothes we wear and the words we speak.Some make a conscious effort to shape that perception. I believe that is why some of us follow fashion and style and others do not. I think I have always been somewhere in between the two. I will readily adopt a new style or fashion if it suits me, but just as quickly reject them  For me, new fashion is always met with skepticism. First I don't think I'm going to like it and then I feel self conscious when trying it out. I always seem to get the feeling that I look ridiculous. .
Something that I have noticed lately are those presenting a certain appearance, creating a perception so to speak, and then denying that is what they are. By that I mean, as a hypothetical example, dressing like a biker, complete with the appropriate tattoos and then denying that lifestyle. The lifestyle that is indeed stereotypical, but that is not my point, it is the creation of that perception. Why would you do that ? I do not understand the reasoning behind it. I mean I go by the old saying, if it looks like a duck,walks like a duck and quacks, it is probably a duck. If you want everyone to think you are a duck why try to convince me you are a goose ? Do you see my point here ? I just find the whole thing puzzling.
Some do that with appearance while others do it with the words they speak. Their speech implies certain actions but in reality they often do the opposite. It leaves one questioning their integrity. What I find puzzling about that is that others do not seem to notice. I remember your words. If you start acting contrary to your word I quickly lose confidence in you. I like consistency. Even if I find your behaviors or words contrary to my own I will respect consistency.
I can't decide whether the creation of a perception is more important than the reality. I mean, clothes make the man don't they ? The clothing worn altered the behavior of the person wearing them, so that was a good thing. Which was the reality ? The person before or after the clothing ? In that case the clothing effected a change in the person. But what if the person changes clothing ( creates a perception ) and then denies that change ? Is the person any more or less ethical ? Certainly your appearance can ease your acceptance into a group. The question is why would you want to gain acceptance, or be identified with a group, and then deny that group ?
Wouldn't it be interesting if we could look at ourselves objectively ? I do not think that is possible however. Even when others near and dear to us attempt to tell us, we don't listen. That is because I am the only one that truly knows my heart. Be honest, that is the way you think also. Can another ever really know ? I think not, that is why we need to create a perception. The only choice to be made is what perception do you wish to create. Are you trying to present yourself as something that you are not ? Something that is more acceptable in society, or to further your own goals ? Dress for success.Is success gained by deceiving others ? Or is success only achieved by being true to yourself ? How do you measure success ? By what standard ? Those questions lead to yet another. Should success be a selfish pursuit, or can success only be achieved by self sacrifice ? Does success depend upon acceptance ?

suc·cess

  [suhk-ses]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals.
2.
the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3.
a performance or achievement that is marked by success, as by the attainment of honors: The playwas an instant success.
4.
a person or thing that has had success, as measured by attainment of goals, wealth, etc.: She was agreat success on the talk show.
5.
Obsolete outcome.

And so I would ask again, is success a selfish act IE: done to satisfy your own goals, or an act of sacrifice IE: done to satisfy another. 
I would have to answer, that depends upon the goal one wishes to attain. What is it that you wish to attain in your life ? Is success measured by what you leave behind, or by what you share while you live ? 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment