Thursday, May 15, 2014

Reaffirmed

This is my last day in Arizona. The day has come to pack it up and head back home to work and the real world. Reality can be such a bother ! Ah well, I have no complaints, I do have that same attitude a child might have about doing something, I don't want to. This is an amazing place and one where I think I could live. It is so different from anywhere I have ever been. All the buildings and changes that have been made to this area have been done with a lot of thought. The homes blend into the landscape, and there is a central theme to it all. I'm sure those that were born here and their ancestors bemoan all the tourists. I know how that is. The fact is even if I moved here I would always be from away. I'll never be a cowboy. I'd never be an Arizonan. I do not believe in reincarnation but I believe pieces of our souls have been here before. I think a small piece of my soul may have been a cowboy and rode this high country. It is a place I will remember.
Last evening we did a true tourist thing, we went to a show. The Blazin' " M " ranch. It is the only structured thing we have done. Their is a small recreated " town " to explore and activities to do. You can shoot a six gun and throw a lariat. That's what they call a rope. Yes, I wrangled that steer ! Yee Haw ! We took a ride on the hay wagon around the ranch. We saw various " critters " and heard a little history. Then, the dinner bell rang. We got fed chuck wagon style on a tin plate and with a tin cup. The food was excellant. What was surprising was they offered seconds. The servers came out of the kitchen with platters of second helpings and brought it to your table. Medieval times and the Dixie Stampede don't do that ! The venue wasn't very large and that just added to the feeling of family. A moment of silence was observed before the meal so that we could all " give thanks, each in our own way " as the host put it. A show followed the meal with cowboy singing and a little comedy thrown in. At the conclusion of the show the entire staff gathered and sang " God bless America. " Now, that is America. Even though it was a tourist venue, one came away with the feeling that that spirit still lives and it was reaffirming. Yes, God and country lives in Arizona and I am pleased to report that. I doubt that I will ever return to this place but a piece of me will remain here, and that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment