Thursday, May 22, 2014

In a hand-basket

I have written about the use of certain language in the general public and finding it inappropriate. I have addressed the moral side of the issue. I have addressed the general courtesy and consideration for others, mostly children, having to listen to this. I will reiterate that I spent twenty years in the Navy, a notorious hotbed of foul mouthed ruffians, and have myself on occasion engaged in such activity. There is a time and place for everything, sorta. The use of such language is never right or justified but contained to a certain group there is only the moral issue to be concerned with. That is between myself and my God. I can assure you no one in that grouping was offended.
All that being said I felt compelled to write once again about this social issue. And it is a social issue. Our society has become accepting of this standard and I find it troubling. The latest example, the one inspiring this essay, is the white house press secretary saying, and I quote, " the president is mad as hell ! " Is that supposed to portray that the president is extremely displeased with the whole VA issue ? Is using the phrase " mad as hell " somehow supposed to convey the sincerity of his anger ? I don't think so. The words that the press secretary says are supposed to be the words of the president himself. That is his job. I know the president is a man, like any other, but he is representing the nation. I take exception to him speaking like some kind of street thug. With all his education and supposed diplomatic skills that is the best he can do ? I'm mad as hell ! What is that even supposed to mean ? What does hell have to do with it ? I would expect at least a pretense of decorum. Where is the dignity of that office ? Is this what we want our children to emulate ? When you are angered about something you say, " I'm mad as hell ! " I can hear that discussion right now. I don't want you using that language. Why not, the president says that ! And what is your response going to be ? Well yeah, but he is the president ?
Call me old fashioned but I believe the office of the president should convey a certain propriety. The press secretary saying the president is " mad as hell " is a monumental fail. Just another example of what my own Grandfather might have said, the country is going to " hell " in a hand-basket ! At least that makes some sense. He wasn't the president and didn't say that in front of women or children. Just what does that say about the state of the union ? Is this how we want the rest of the world to see us ? No class ! Just as clothes make the man, so also do our words and the choice of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment