Thursday, May 8, 2014

Doting and Discipline

I went to the Spring Concert for the Greensboro Elementary school. As Morgan, my granddaughter, graduates elementary school this year it will probably be my last. Yes there will be others during middle school and high school. Somehow I don't believe they will be quite the same. It is a bittersweet time. Naturally I am happy to see her grow and progress, while at the same time I wish she could stay the same. The years have a way of passing us by.
As I watched the children perform I couldn't help but admire their confidence. I watched as they performed as a group and as they did their solo performances. Oh the courage of those children. I am impressed with their abilities and poise. A shame they will not retain that same self assurance throughout their lives. I know that they will not, few of us do. We become conscious of those around us and their abilities. We begin to compare ourselves to others. We listen to others comments and are subjected to peer pressure. We all know that children can be the cruelest of creatures. The innocence of spirit will be dimmed. It is a part of the maturing process.
I think that we are given grandchildren as a gift. They afford us the opportunity to review our own lives in stages. As they grow and mature so do we. They add polish to life. A reward. Perhaps that is why I feel the way I do. Sure I want my grandchildren to grow up and become productive members of society. Absolutely I want them to succeed in whatever field they choose. I wouldn't mind if they took a little longer doing it. Grandparents can act as a brake, somewhat. Where Mom and Dad may rush them along, Grandpa will not. I get those, oh Grandpa looks sometimes, and in the vernacular of the day an occasional, really ? It makes no difference. Just as my own children will always remain children to me ( darn kids ) grandchildren retain that position. Am I a doting grandfather ? That could only be answered by those that are the recipients. I do strive to strike a balance between doting and discipline. I believe both are as equally important.
With the close of this school year I suppose I have to graduate. I must move on to middle school. I wouldn't mind another year in elementary. I had that year back in 1965. Back in that time elementary was grades 1 through 6. Today things are moving a little bit faster. My Mom warned me about that. She always says, the older you get the faster times seems to travel. A lesson I am learning all too well. No more recess. I am approaching middle school with much of the same trepidation as I did in '66. Life really is a circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment