Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Only Men

While remembering those who lost their lives in defense of our nation my thoughts wandered a bit. I began to see them all in heaven, at peace, and rested at last, for war is an exhausting business. Then I began to think of our enemies. They too are in heaven and at  peace. I think we tend to believe that only our soldiers and sailors go to heaven,and that the enemy is doomed. Often our enemies practice a different faith than our own and that can help lend credence to that belief. The crusades were fought with that belief. Those crusades continue until this very day. Belief is a powerful motivator and true faith unstoppable. That is true no matter what your beliefs are. The enemy fought with those same beliefs.
Being  American we have never lost that fight. There are those that would argue that statement and say it is not so. I would say to them, the only thing America has lost in any war, was some pride. We have never had our land seized and been ruled by another. We have never been forced to pay reparations and be humbled before another nation. We have fought the good fight and won. Yes, we prayed to our God and the enemy prayed to theirs. I am certain that those prayers were heard. Was it a failure of prayer that caused defeat ? I would have to say no. Prayer is an individual thing, a personal thing. God does not fail.
In thinking about all this it changed my view of heaven just a bit. Now, my enemies walk the streets of heaven alongside me, as my friend. Strange how I never really thought of that before. I always thought of heaven as populated with my relatives,friends and family. Everyone in heaven is a Christian. Now I know that can't be so. My God is a loving God and understanding God, he would not exclude those that are just.
I ended my Memorial day observances by taking down the bunting I had decorating my porch railing. Old Glory was still flying and the grass is green. As I folded that bunting and put it away I gave thought to those that died. I thought of those that died defending that flag, and those that died attempting to defeat that flag. All were just men doing their duty. There duty was to their fellow man and to their country. You may disagree with the motivations of those warriors, but you must recognize their faith. Their God did not fail them nor did our God fail us. It is only man that fails to understand. It is only man that refuses to yield. We are only men ; and that is why we must pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment