Friday, May 2, 2014

Pointing out the details

There have been a few occasions where I have found myself questioning. Did I say the right thing ? Is what I said somehow offensive or inappropriate ? And then my thought is, No, I don't believe so, must be that I am just getting old,you know how older people have a tendency to just speak their minds. Have I reached that point ? If so, it has come as a surprise. I have to say it feels uncomfortable at times.
Now these comments that I am making are not offensive in any way. I do know the difference between what is socially acceptable and what is not. I also know I have not reached an age where I can just say whatever comes to mind without fear of retribution. The later is reserved for the elderly, I'm not elderly,just a little older. I am thinking that it is a generational thing. The younger generation being surprised that an older guy would know, or think about certain subjects and topics. I'm not talking about those topics, that is inappropriate, so don't go there.
That is the mysterious part in all of this. I am certainly aware of what you should and should not say or imply in a workplace environment. I am certainly aware of the boundaries. It is when I know I am well within those boundaries and my comments are met with, what should I say, shock or surprise, that I question myself. The thing is I am certain I have stated my opinion in a completely neutral way. That is to say what we call now, politically correct. My thinking may not be politically correct but when expressing those thoughts out loud I temper them accordingly. Is it true that different generations view things in a different way.
I do wonder if we are getting to the point where we cannot communicate with each other without fear of offending. Are we getting so touchy feely about everything that it is becoming impossible ? The exchange of ideas does seem to be getting a bit tedious. It is something I have noticed. People appear to be more defensive in their language and views, than they are receptive. Even when those ideas are expressed in the most polite and unoffensive way possible they are being met with opposition.
There is another theory I have about this. I wonder, if, as we age we become more assured of the answers. Is that why the older generation speaks with such certainty ? Having been around the block a few times, as the saying goes, are we now starting to notice the details ? Is it those details that we like to point out ? I think it may be, at least for me it is. That is also why these comments may be met with surprise or shock. The younger folks just haven't noticed the details yet,the little nuances in life that keep it interesting.
I think I will go with that theory. I'm right and they are still learning. When I was a child I was told that children should be seen but not heard. I now know that you can't listen if you are running your mouth so that was the reason for that. Makes sense. I was also taught to respect your elders. Listen to them and don't argue with them. You should politely listen, shake your head in affirmation of their wisdom and just move on. No backtalk !
I do think as long as I am aware of this, and feel uncomfortable at times, I am alright. Should there come a time when I just start talking without giving it thought I will have a problem. There are things we think privately that should always remain so. That is knowing the difference between right and wrong. We can strive to never be wrong but that isn't possible. We are humans and prone to error. Isn't that why Mom always said, think before you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment