Monday, May 5, 2014

Never Gone

I was inside yesterday afternoon and could find little on the television that was of interest. My wife noticed that the Maryland public television station was showing Elvis, Aloha from Hawaii. Elvis is always good so on it went. During the fundraising breaks they supply you with tidbits of information. This particular concert was the first one every broadcast by satellite around the world. An estimated 1.5 billion viewers watched the initial broadcast back in 1973, almost forty years ago. Amazing.
I have always admired Elvis although I wouldn't classify myself as a raging fan. There is no denying his accomplishments. He made 33 movies and has sold one billion records worldwide. He received three Grammy awards too. He graduated high school the year I was born and by the time I was three, he was known internationally. Remember there was no Facebook or twitter back then. Shoot most people didn't even have a tv back then. Elvis died in 1977 at the age of 42. That is just some of the facts. As I listened to this during the breaks I couldn't help but think, There are those that leave us just so they will remain forever. Elvis is just one example of that.
I was wondering if Elvis had lived longer would his legacy remain the same as it is now ? I doubt that. We know he was just a man like the rest of us. He was gaining weight and having other issues. Had he lingered on and shown himself to be less than,well Elvis, what would the effect had been ? Now to each succeeding generation Elvis will always be, Elvis. I think it may be as Shakespeare says, we all make our exits and entrances. There are many other examples of this. John Kennedy comes to mind, or Martin Luther King. Neither had any choice in their departure but it did cement their legacies. Those responsible for there exits are not so well remembered. That is as it should be.
It is said that our days are numbered. I believe that to be true. Not one of us will overstay our welcome. We will make our exit, right on cue. This play we call life is not about you and I. We enter and exit according to a bigger plan. The nature and origin of that plan is not important to understand. What is important is to know that the plan exists. I do not believe things just happen at random, for no reason or purpose.
When we lose those that we love we often question that plan. That is because it doesn't fit our plan. The thing is, like Elvis, they leave us just in time. They are gone so they may remain forever with us. Those that we love,admire and treasure are never gone. It makes no difference if they are internationally famous or a complete unknown, they have fulfilled their role. No one remembers who pulled open the curtain but they remember the show. No one remembers who turned out the lights. We remember the players. 

No comments:

Post a Comment