Monday, July 1, 2013

the lunch counter

When I was growing up we had a lunch counter in a part of town known as the hook. It wasn't a Woolworth's lunch counter, we didn't have a Woolworths, just the five and dime. The five and dime was upstreet, above the bridge, where the richer folks went. The malt shops and restaurants were up there too. They had lunch counters but I never thought of them in that way. No sir, Greens was the place to go. Mr. George Green owned and operated that place. Opened early in the morning for the fishermen and other tradesmen. They all gathered there for coffee and a hard roll. Some had toast or an English muffin but I think the hard roll was favored. I miss those hard rolls to this day. Lightly toasted on the grill with just a bit of butter, nothing like it. The newspapers would be stacked in the front window. Newsday and the New York times. Those papers came by train early,early in the morning back then. The ink was barely dry.
I remember sitting on those stools that lined the counter like a Norman Rockwell painting. The near end of the counter had the soda fountain stuff and the far end the grill. You usually positioned yourself accordingly. There were booths along the wall and a few tables scattered in the center of the room. It was a warm and friendly place.
For a time I worked at the IGA store on the other end of the block. I would occasionally go there for lunch. That was a treat as I didn't eat out often, but when you are young you are sometimes irresponsible that way. A grilled cheese sandwich and a coke was near two dollars I think. I did enjoy the experience though, felt real grown up doing that.
I'm not sure what time Greens closed in the evening. I do remember the lights being on about five at night but I'm thinking he didn't stay open much past that. Where I grew up most folks were home by about five or six. Why, who would be out past that ? Only city folks and upstreeters that's who.
There was a time when George Green sold his business. I don't know if he just retired or what the story was. A new family bought the place and they were from out of town. Had a funny last name, Pluchino (sp). At least it was funny in our part of town, never heard of that one before. Despite that, it remained the same. I went to school with their children. I got to be friends with Frank and knew his sister and little brother too. Frank went on to become a music teacher. I joined the Navy and don't know what happened to the lunch counter after that.
That lunch counter is one place I'll always have fond memories of. A regular slice of Americana, served with a slice of apple pie. Closing my eyes I can smell the cooking and hear the conversation of the men. It was at this counter that an old farmer told me, " the more you know,the less you think you know. " I had to give that some thought. I have reached the conclusion,  he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment