Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Uniforms

When I was young a lot of people wore a uniform. The milk man had one, the man at the gas station had one, and of course the Police wore one. These people wore their uniforms with pride. It was what was expected of them and they wore them without complaint. That has apparently changed over the years. Now the ones I see wearing uniforms, normally just a shirt, are just as likely to disdain them, as take pride in their appearance.
There are a few Uniforms that concern me. As a retired service member the wearing of the service dress uniform is important to me. I now see our service members in combat fatigues and what we classified as "working clothes " being worn out in public. Seldom do I see the dress uniform. It is a foreign concept to me. Combat gear was only worn for combat and training. I guess it is a popular image now, combat boots and fatigues, looking like G.I. Joe. Well, I don't like it. I think a serviceman in his dress uniform presents a much better public image. An image of pride and discipline. A professional man. Isn't that the purpose of the uniform ? To present that image.
I see a lot of the Policeman today wearing swat gear. Same problem for me. Do these officers look approachable ? I don't think so. Walking around like some kind of covert action team, ready for attack. Again, the wrong image I believe. Is the purpose to try to show the thugs that we are better equipped thugs ?There is a time and place for such things, foot patrol around town isn't it. An officer wearing his uniform, properly and with pride, is far more approachable. What message do we wish to convey ?
I think all of this stems from a new relaxed attitude in America. Everything is alright and let's not inconvenience anyone. Just wear what is comfortable and don't worry about it. Yeah, there are rules and regulations but they don't apply to me.
There is at least one holdout though. The State police. I still see them in their proper uniforms,neatly pressed and wearing their hats. They present an official appearance of no nonsense. The uniform commands respect. Their shoes are polished ( patent leather ) and they are clean shaven. Immediately identifiable. Is it convenient for them ? No, takes time and effort. Is it a source of pride ? You bethcha.
UPS guys wear a uniform, but they wear shorts,doesn't count in my book. The bread delivery people wear uniforms but same deal. I liked it better when we all dressed our parts. Sure made identifying the characters easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment