Saturday, July 27, 2013

Legacy

What will you leave behind ? All of us must go one day and we can't take it with us, isn't that what everyone says ? It is a stark fact of life but one that cannot be denied. So, the question remains, what will you leave behind ? Will it be money,property or fame. What is the legacy of your life. How long will that legacy last ? All these questions are difficult to answer. Wealth is transient, it comes and goes. Today's fortune may not mean much in tomorrows market. Property is a great legacy to have. Property only increases in value ( normally) there are no constants in life. And as we all know fame is a fleeting thing.
In the general overview of things it seems to me the last few generations ( mine included) have been selling off our legacies at an alarming rate. Case in point, the family farms. Sold. Sold for profits. Yes, in some cases economic necessity forced these sales. Not all sales have been so however. Many have sold their legacy without regard to future generations. The consideration being for their own immediate need or desires.
It is the progression of man I suppose. Were I a sociologist I could write a book about this subject. An attempted explanation. Here in America the immigrants arrived with a dream. A dream to own property and succeed in their lives unencumbered. And the dream was realized by many. Farmers, ranchers,tradesmen and shop owners. These people struggled and fought to achieve their dreams. They acquired their properties and built their reputations. Families working and living together, forming communities. And they prospered. Eventually the children felt the need to move out and on. No longer working within the structure of the past. Their support systems gone. Their freedom coming at a price. Over time, the legacy that was built by that family, was sold. Sold for profit or convenience. Nothing remains. And so we arrive at today.
How many people live in the homes of their parents ? Of their Grandparents ? There was a time when this was a common practice. Those days are long gone. Only the very wealthy and the fortunate few can claim that legacy. Now if we live in the same town for a number of years we think of that as special. In some ways we have all reverted back to being nomadic. It is only that the modern nomads roam in great comfort.
I would have to include myself in this nomadic situation. I didn't sell my legacy, as I never acquired one. I have just gone with the tide. I moved out and on. I was lead to believe that was the American dream. To have a place of your own, your own piece of the pie so to speak. That is an illusion however. It is hype. The real dream is to share in a legacy. A legacy cannot survive by being shattered. A legacy cannot be maintained by being sold. Nor can one, no matter how wealthy, buy a legacy.
This is what I have been considering lately. Is it because of the advance of years ? Possibly, and it is best to plan ahead. So just what is the legacy I will leave ? It is certainly not money ( unless a lottery win is in the future) and property isn't likely either. As for fame, I have none. Well I have had my fifteen minutes I believe, it is only that I took them a few minutes at a time ! So I would have to say the legacy I will leave behind is one of thoughts. Thoughts and observations on life. I'm writing this legacy every day. A legacy is a gift. A gift from an ancestor. These things that I write are that gift. I hope future generations enjoy them. It may not be a grand estate but it is what I have to offer. I feel neither sorrow or shame. Each of us walk this path and we are defined by what we leave behind. Don't litter the trail up with a bunch of junk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment