Thursday, July 25, 2013

Celebration

On my sixtieth birthday I decided to go out for a beer. It has been a number of years since I have done so. A new little pub opened across the street from my place and I thought I would just go there. I need only walk across the street, perfect. It was early in the afternoon ,about three I would say, when I entered. It was quiet in there. Two gentleman sat at one end of the bar having a conversation. The television was on a sporting event of some kind, but the sound was off. I sat down and waited. The bar tender was nowhere to be seen. After a while one of the gentleman at the bar remarked he thought the bar tender went to take a nap. I continued to wait. Eventually she appeared. I placed my order. Three dollars for a bottle of beer. Geez, guess it has been a while since I was out. Oh well, it is my birthday after all. Live it up.
Shortly after getting my beer three ladies enter the place. They sit next to the guys already there. They are obviously acquainted with one another. One of the ladies starts ordering beers and shooters for everyone. She is intoxicated. And she is very loud. And then she begins to say inappropriate remarks and laughing hysterically. Ah yes, I remember that from years ago. The drunken fool. Now this lady is no spring chicken and should know better. I hadn't heard language like that since my navy days. A steady spewing forth of filth. I found it a bit unsettling. Her companions didn't seem to mind though, I assume they are used to it. This lady was giving rather large tips so the bar tender wasn't complaining either. She did seem to be confused in her language. She kept using a verb as an adjective. This particular verb involves a rather intimate act. The beer was $*&^ing cold and on and on. Everything was &*&^ing. My thought was to point this out but then I figured she wouldn't understand. Once she started to talk about certain parts of the anatomy and threatening to show them, I left. My birthday celebration was over.
I must say I did enjoy it in an odd sort of way. It served as a reminder of the days when I too would over indulge. I remembered why I quit that particular form of nonsense. It is most unbecoming. The gentlemen that were there when I first arrived seem unmoved. They graciously accepted the offered drinks and continued their conversation. As I walked home, I smiled. Guess I'm growing up after all. The past was lived for comparison to the present. I'm getting there. Some growth has been achieved after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment