Saturday, July 13, 2013

It could be low T

I keep seeing and hearing about what is apparently a growing problem, no pun intended, low T ! I hear advertising for investigational studies offering up to three thousand dollars for your participation. The symptoms of this low T can include a feeling of being tired, lack of energy and a reduced sex drive for those of us over the age of fifty. Sounds suspiciously like getting old, but I'm no doctor.
As a matter of curiosity I took the online quiz to see if I may be suffering from Hypoandrogenism ! That's doctor talk for low T. It can be determined with a simple blood test too. The questions included, are you grumpy ? Yeah I've been accused of being a grumpy old man. Are you sad ?  Yes, sometimes I am sad. Do I take a nap after dinner ? Yes, whenever possible. I do enjoy a nap.There were several questions that were just none of their business ! The only thing I have to say about that is I'm not twenty one ! Another question was my ability to play sports. Well, I never was much of an athlete but again I must say, I am not twenty one.
Now the therapy provided to correct this deficiency is a drug. Hormone therapy they call it. I'll be in trouble for saying this but aren't hormones a female thing ? Guess things change over time, just sayin'. The promise is that you will lose weight and gain muscle. And that is not to mention the other benefits ! If your significant other is over fifty she made need to seek a certified sex therapist, as no drug treatments have been approved by the FDA for this problem in women. Go figure.
Taking this hormone may lead to liver damage and prostrate cancer. A small price to pay I suppose for turning back the hands of time. I wonder if it has occurred to anyone else that this low T may be a sign of aging. Is it possible that it is really a good thing. Prevents stroke and heart attack. May also help prevent becoming a victim of a homicide ! Old women can be grumpy,sad and angry ! Again, just sayin'.
It all comes down to man wanting to stay young. We would like to live forever and do the things we used to do. I say grow up and accept what fate awaits you. There was an advertisements years ago that summed it up nicely, It is not nice to fool Mother Nature ! That is a simple truth and a price has to be paid for attempting to do so. Accept the years with grace and dignity. You can take all the drugs and therapy you want but you will never be twenty again. Deal with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment