Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Keep the memories Alive

In doing my family tree I have made many " discoveries. " I say discoveries but they were right there all the time. My parents and other relatives just never explained them to me. In all fairness I must add that I didn't have such a keen interest in such things back then either. Old people and there doings weren't of much interest. My parents relationships with their siblings played a major role in that as well. Some were close and some ,not so much. I went to school with cousins that I didn't even know ! My Mom was the youngest of her family and so the older folks didn't bother with that kid much. The same rule applied then as now, you really don't start wanting your family around until you get older, before that you kinda get busy living your life.
I was only aware of one person from my Fathers side of the family. His Grandfather. His Dad had passed as well as his Mom. Now his Mom's sister lived right down the road from me. I even went to her house on more than one occasion. I was never aware of exactly who she was. Jesse her name was. Aunt Jesse Mom called her but we called any adult that was a friend of our parents Aunt or Uncle as a show of respect. Like saying Miss or Mr. Dad had a brother but he lived in Chicago. Met him a time or two.
Other discoveries I have made include the relationships between the families in my hometown. Being a small, close knit community, in what was once an isolated area those relationships are numerous. In some cases a little too close. Those are the ones I understand no one talking about. Understanding some of those relationships can explain a few things.
I make it a point to explain all this to my grandchildren. I want them to know and understand who all the players are. I think it is important. Family is so much more than brothers and sisters. They roll their eyes at some of the old folks I show them pictures of. Morgan, my grand daughter finds some of them scary looking ! I don't blame her for that. I want the kids to understand that there Mom wasn't born there Mom and Grandpa wasn't born a Grandpa either. I want them to know that their ancestors were and are living breathing people . They had lives of their own. They were children and grew up. I sure wish someone had taken the time to explain all that to me as a child.
It is not such an easy thing to resuscitate a memory. A lot of the people I have uncovered in the family tree have become just that, little more than a name. I'll try to find out what I can and record that. My parents and Grandparents will be fully documented. There accomplishments, as well as disappointments preserved. My story will be known. If we all explain this stuff to our children we can keep the memories alive. Isn't that what we all would like ? To be remembered ? I do and I'll remind you of it often. Fact is I'm writing it down. I hope the grandkids enjoy it and continue to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment