Monday, July 22, 2013

Changes

In 1953, when I was born ,white cloth diapers were the order of the day. It would be another ten years before pampers and the like became available. It was wear,wash and repeat. Mom used those large safety pins and the blue plastic covers. As I progressed I switched to briefs. Fruit of the Loom or Hanes, white. Except for a few months in basic training when the Navy forced me to wear standard issue boxer shorts, I have worn briefs ever since. So for the better part of sixty years my choice in underwear has remained unchanged. Not anymore ! Yesterday I went to the Walmart and purchased some new underwear. They are not briefs, they are not boxers, they are boxer-briefs ! I bought a five pack and each pair is a different color and not one of them is white ! I feel like some sort of radical. But, I wouldn't want it said that I'm not progressive. No sir, I'm not stuck in the past. Somehow I feel strangely liberated. Well, not too liberated,hence the brief part. There are limits to rebellious behavior. The straight boxer shorts always seem to be the ones migrating north, while the waistline of the pants head south. I definitely don't want that.
It was sometime in the fifties when wearing a white tee shirt,as a shirt, became a sign of rebellion. I think it may have been that Rebel, James Dean. I was never much on tee shirts. Didn't wear them as a kid. The Navy requires you to wear one with your uniform. Following my retirement, I have pretty much abandoned them, at least the white ones. I have tee shirts in many colors and sporting all kinds of sayings and advertising. When I start to feel a little rambunctious I just might wear a white one,as a shirt ! If I still smoked I would roll that pack of cigarettes in the sleeve,too !
Okay, so maybe I am not as adventurous as I used to be. It could be I have calmed down and slowed down just a bit over the years. But I'll tell you this. I've still got some fire in me. I can change, and as Rocky Balboa said, If I can change, and you can change, we can all change. Right now I'm going to change my underwear.


No comments:

Post a Comment