Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Just Wondering

I was halfheartedly listening to the evening news when the story of JK Rowling cane on. All I heard was that she had written a new book and it was published under a different name. I heard the reporter say sales of this book where slow until it was leaked that she was the real author. Now, the stores are sold out.
That was all I heard and began immediately to speculate. I wondered how it felt to be the best selling author of the Harry Potter series, publish another book and meet with not so great sales. I was thinking how this would affect my own ego. I decided it wouldn't be a good thing. I began to wonder if she did this as a test of sorts. Did she want to see the acceptance of this book on it's own merits ? Seemed like a good possibility. Or maybe this was some marketing trick. Nothing more was said on the news about it, so off to Google to find out more.
Having not read any of the Harry Potter series I am only vaguely aware of who JK Rowling is. I was surprised to learn she has written a book previous to this one, in the adult category. Not, adult in that sense, only written for adults and it met with success. This book that she has written under the pseudonym, Robert Galbraith, is a crime novel. It was met with critical acclaim. The reviews were positive So that answered that question. No damage to the ego I guess. Reading that information led me to thinking about another question. How did it feel to know sales really didn't take off until everyone knew the true author ? I think that would have to be a good thing. The knowledge that people will buy your work based upon your name. If JK Rowling wrote it, I want to read it. Yes, it has to feel good.
I'm sure it has to be a great thing for her. To have your work recognized on it's own merit. To know you are not a one hit wonder. I'm not much for crime novels so I doubt that I'll be reading it. JK Rowling holds no allure for me. Now if she writes a historical novel I may be interested.
I did she her in an interview later on. She was saying how she enjoyed the feedback she was receiving before her identity was leaked. She seemed to be saying it was a test of sorts. A reaffirmation of sorts. Of course this leak did increase sales substantially. I like to think she really didn't care about that. She certainly has enough money. But then again, often times with the artist it is not about the money. Either way, I wish her continued success.

No comments:

Post a Comment