Sunday, July 7, 2013

It's no secret

I became a bit curious about the secret place I wrote about yesterday. Through the miracle of satellite imagery I was able to visit that location. From my living room in Maryland I was able to look down upon that ground on the eastern end of Long Island. The image is good enough to see the dirt road and there is a boat on the property. I didn't see any home there. It was a rather comforting image actually, knowing that piece of ground was undisturbed. Looking much the same as it did forty years ago when I still lived there.
It is an amazing thing really. I saw a view of that ground and all the surrounding area like I had never seen before. When I lived there I never saw it like that. I would have had to be in an airplane. Seeing it on a map is one thing, but seeing it like that is quite another. I was born and raised there and figured I knew the area well. Not so fast there, I saw things I didn't know. Apparently I wasn't as familiar with the topography as I thought. I wonder what the old timers would think ?
I did shift the view somewhat and began looking around town. Amazing how many new homes I see and new roads. Overall I would recognize the place even if it wasn't identified. I even shifted to a street view of Newtown lane. Amazing, and then I chuckle when people complain about privacy issues on Facebook. Shoot, it is not private on a street in New York when I can sit in Maryland and watch ! There really aren't too many secret places after all. I'm quite sure the resolution on those satellites could be cranked up some more in the right hands. I expect a whole lot more is visible ! Having nothing to hide, I really don't care.
My great grandmother was bedridden the last years of her life. She had a collection of those Viewmaster slides. The vast majority of those slides were pictures of places throughout the world. Views of Paris and Rome, the Grand Canyon and all natter of places. I was told she enjoyed those slides very much and traveled often. I can only imagine her interest had satellite views been available to her.We have made quite a bit of progress since her time. The world is indeed a smaller place than it was one hundred years ago. Maybe I'll spend a little time and have a look around.

                                                                       
And it was 3-D




No comments:

Post a Comment