Monday, July 15, 2013

Hope

We all occasionally go on flights of fancy and there is nothing wrong with that. I have several trips I like to take. Sometimes I sail the seven seas as a whaler, my Great Great Grandfather did that and I feel a kinship with him. It has been proudly recorded that he made seven trips around the horn. A feat worth remembering. In my own Naval career I never had that chance, but sailed the seas. I crossed the equator and sailed to the arctic circle. I made a transit of the Suez canal. Aye, I've looked the beast in the eye me hearties, and lived to tell the tale. The sea can be a haunting mistress. The blood of my ancestors had a little salt, as does mine.
Another little fantasy of mine is to be a homesteader. I have yet to discover any in my family tree, but surely they are there. I have ancestors from Sweden and Germany. Their own desires brought them to this land. Well, at least the Germans did. Grandmother was sent here from Sweden to care for a sick Aunt. I'm not convinced she really wanted to. My vision involves covered wagons and settling in the west. Staking my claim to the land and proving it up. Chopping down the primeval forest to build my home. Living off the land. I can see myself as a sodbuster, don't care for horses much so cowboy is out of the question. Maybe a rancher, but only after I can afford to hire cowhands to do the work. No, I can see myself having a nice little farm and having a trade. Maybe wheelwright or cordwainer.  Wheelwrights make wheels, like wagon wheels and a cordwainer makes shoes and other leather goods. My Great Grandfather was a cordwainer.
As I take these little trips I can sometimes feel the presence of my ancestors. Parts of them have surely passed through the ages. I feel we are all a sum of the past, mixed with the hope of the future. A part of our parents are within us and theirs within them, so would that not be so generation after generation ? Going back in time, as well as moving it forward ? Seems logical to me.
At other times I can feel the wanderlust in me. That desire to see what is over the hill or beyond the open sea. I can find and appreciate the beauty of nature everywhere but yet am always looking. Where does this desire stem from ? Was there a great explorer in my past ? The possibility exists. Or does it come as a result of my being uprooted , having left my ancestral home and living with the knowledge I shall never return. And so I look elsewhere ? Looking for a place to rest ? But we can not know our final destination, if ever there is one. Pieces of me must travel forward. Is it so important where the body lies ? It only lies for the comfort of others.
I do takes little trips into the future as well. Fantasy is not limited to the past. To see oneself in certain circumstance in years to come. Believing in the future is half the battle to making it a reality. Isn't that what they say ? You must see the dream in order to make it materialize. I will not share those voyages with you. You will have to wait and see, just like me. I believe exposing the dream to daylight will make it disappear. And so, I keep my dreams close to me. Reality is ephemeral, dreams are forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment