Saturday, July 6, 2013

Secret Places

When the other beaches were full, might be as many as twenty other people there, the parking lot overflowing, Dad would take us to a secret spot. We drove down a long dirt lane through the woods, I think it was private property. Dad seemed to know if the owners were about. The owners were mysterious to us kids. Who they may have been, I have no idea. I never saw a car or truck go down that lane. In the winter there were never any tracks. Perhaps they were summer people and only there certain weekends. Being kids we attached more to that than was necessary developing several scenarios for this place. No one seemed to go there and there had to be a reason. And the reason couldn't be good. Nevertheless, Dad would take us, he was fearless. We went clamming off that shoreline and all we caught there were chowder clams. Chowders are the biggest and oldest. I figured they were there because no one clammed here. I never give any thought as to why there were not baby clams there. Need baby clams to grow into big clams but as a kid you don't think of that.
Having not gone there often I don't remember a whole lot about it. I don't recall a home being there. I never walked down that road as it was off limits without Dad along. Thinking back I don't think he ever said that,but it was just taken for granted. We were told not to trespass. The name of the place was Dominys' point. I've looked at quite a few maps but have never seen it identified. Dominy is a famous name in my hometown. I assumed it was from that, that the name was taken. The Dominys were an affluent family and maybe they owned the property at one time.
It was a nice place to go when everything else was crowded. The shore was a little rocky. It was secluded that much is sure. It was like a secret spot that only us insiders would know. It was an adventure to go there. Very clandestine in nature. We snuck in and out and left no trace of our passing. Dad was always careful about that. Looking back I think it had more to do with Dad having fun with us kids, than worry about trespassing. He had a way of making dull things seem exciting.
I expect Dominys point is all built up now and no longer a mystery. Another secret exposed. I do wonder how many others knew of this place and went there. Had to be more than us. We thought it a secret anyway and that is all that matters. I bet you had secret places too.

as a footnote : I have seen in one letter dated 1796 where Jeremiah Dominy says he came from Three Mile Harbor, know as Dominy's Point. That could solve the whole mystery but I think I'll just leave it alone. Sometimes speculation is more fun than knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment