Monday, July 25, 2011

Sprawl

We have all heard about it. We know it is insidious. We dread it,yet some embrace it. Sprawl !
Just saw in the newspaper,yes I still read those,that Walmart is going to build a store in Denton,Md. That is only about seven miles from Greensboro. They already have one in Easton ,Md about twenty miles away. There are two in Delaware less then 45 minutes from here. It's sprawl I tell you. And it is fueled by greed. With no concern for the Mom and Pop stores and other independently owned shops they are moving in. The economic impact will be significant.
I know;jobs will be created and it will boost the economy. At least that is the line they are using. I'm not buying it.
It was bad enough when they hung that second stop light here in town. Now,a walmart right in my backyard. Time to think about moving. I've seen this trend before. Let's move to the country. Fresh air and open spaces. Peace and quiet. The quaint little stores. Minimal traffic. Soon however these same people (city folks mostly) want their theaters,fancy restaurants,malls and conveniences. Before you know what happened, you are in the city ! Sprawl. I hate it.
Since moving here twenty some years ago I have already noticed the decline in that country living. Farms being sold to housing development corporations. The chain stores edging out the little stores. The town hardware store,history. No 5&10 cent stores or little local shops. The drug store is holding on for now but what impact will Walmart have on that ? Sprawl ! It is slowly creeping into Greensboro. I can sense it and I don't like it. You can't stop it however. Ideology and those good old family values will lose out to the almighty dollar. They always do. It is a shame but nothing stays the same. Soon we can close the few remaining stores and open them back up as boutiques. Buy some hundred dollar underwear or a five dollar cup of coffee. Sprawl !
Then the locals( those here for a few years) will sit sipping Lattes and reminiscing about how it used to be. The really old families will be long gone. The property sold off and the children living in another section of the country.
Oh,I've been seeing the signs. First was " Cindys " fast food and gasoline store. Goose Creek built a store right across the street that spelled the end. Last year that same place put up one of those digital gas prices signs. Stupid thing up there glowing in the dark, looks like downtown Manhattan. Then they widen the main highway to four lanes. Why some restaurants even have tables outside on the sidewalk ! What do they think this is, Paris or something ?
Sprawl ! What would Horace Greely have to say ? Wouldn't be,go west young man,because that has already been sprawled into extinction. I frequently talk about moving to the mountains some where. I may have to give that thought more serious consideration. I understand it is progress and all but I don't like it.
Looking North on Main Street,Greensboro,Md.
There are those that would say I'm a chicken little but I don't care. I have seen this sprawl destroy other places and it is headin' my way. Why,just imagine, we already have two traffic lights ! Before you know it we will have one of them there traffic circles !

No comments:

Post a Comment