Thursday, July 28, 2011

Instruction

It came into my possession through my mother. Originally it was the possession of my  Great Grandmother. It was her Bible. There inscribed on the inside cover it said," Lucy Terry. From A.M.King. Christmas 1890. "
A.M.King is Abraham Miller King her grandfather and my Great Great Great Grandfather. This Bible along with another, inscribed and dated 1924, are in a plastic zip lock baggie.
Great Grandmother passed when I was just three years old. She raised my father, as his Mother passed shortly after giving birth to him. I have a few faded photographs of her and stories that my father told me. I knew my Great Grandfather well but he never spoke of her. What the reason for that was I don't know. Maybe I just never asked.
Anyway,although this Bible was in a plastic baggie it was not sealed shut. It had been sitting in the attic for some time. One day as I was cleaning up I saw it and brought it downstairs. I placed it on the corner on my bedroom dresser.
It sat there for a while until one day I decided to take it out of the bag for a look. The book mark was still in place at what I can only assume was the last place she was reading. My father told me she read a little bit of the Bible every day. Also in the pages was a hand made card from my Father to her dated 1931.
As I looked at this Bible a old Hank Williams song came to mind. Most people probably haven't heard it,it wasn't a big hit in the Honky Tonks. The title of this song is, " Dust on the Bible."
It is a story song. He starts by saying he went to a friends house and while he was waiting for them he looked for a Bible but couldn't find one. The next verse goes something like this," I asked them for the Bible when they brought it what a shame,for the dust was covered o'er it,not a fingerprint was plain.
I looked at this dust covered Bible in my hands and felt shame.
The chorus came to mind," Dust on the Bible,Dust on the Holy word,the words of all the prophets and the sayings of our lord.
How often do we forget and just put our Bible aside ? We all need it and yet we let them sit and collect dust.
In another verse he says," Of all the other books you'll find,there's none salvation holds,get the dust of the Bible and redeem your poor soul.
The Book

The Inscription
Great Grandmothers Bible is old,dusty and worn. It is fragile to hold. I think however I will make a point to open its' pages and read. Instructions do no good if not read. And I think Great Grandmother would be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment