Friday, July 15, 2011

Old cars and memories

 I was thinking about my first car. I had several in quick succession but the one I drove the most was a 1964 Ford Falcon station wagon. Not the coolest ride, but very reliable.
It has been many years, but if memory serves, the very first car I owned was a 1960 Chevy belair. I quickly traded that car to my father in exchange for his F-85 Oldsmobile. The Olds had a V-8 and the Chevy a straight six, so the reason is obvious. Wasn't long before I destroyed that engine. It just wasn't designed for the abuse I handed out. After that I got my Falcon.
My Uncle was the owner of that fine piece of machinery. My Aunt used to drive it to work every day. She had had it for many years when it mysteriously lost oil pressure. Deciding to replace it,rather than repair it,it was parked in my Uncles yard. Just by chance, I was visiting with him and he offered me that car. Free. Gratis. For Nada. All I had to do was fix it. As it turned out ,it was an easy fix and I was soon rolling.
The car was white with a red and white interior. Equipped with an A M radio tuner. It was powered by the famous 170 cubic inch in line six cylinder. On the air cleaner was emblazoned " 170 Special ". A three speed automatic transmission completed the package. The car ran like a champ. It was just your basic transportation and just what I needed.
I wasn't aware at the time but this car was probably the perfect vehicle for me at that time. It was basic enough in design that I could easily repair any component and lacking in horsepower and speed enough to keep me alive. It was durable,I'll give it that. The most important thing was, it was paid for. I had no payments to make,except for insurance. It was fuel efficient and reliable.
Down side was, it was a dorky car to have when you're 17. No matter,I learned to appreciate its' virtues.
I drove this car throughout my senior year of high school. I had many adventures and good times in that car. It never left me on the side of the road. I gave that car to my brother when I left for the service. I don't remember the fate of that ride. Many is the time I wished I still had it. Good basic transportation is hard to come by. I occasionally see them in the " classic/antique" car section for sale. Maybe one day I'll have another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment