Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans



Great Great Grandfather  Civil War

My Dad WW2

Uncle Alfred WW2

Its' Veterans day. A day set aside to remember those who have served and are still serving. Justly so and richly deserved. Every year it seems more businesses are giving out freebies to us Vets. Thank You for that whatever your motivation. As a twenty year veteran of the U.S.Navy a few things bother me.
First and foremost let me assure you I am no hero. It bugs me when people label every vet a hero. Ain't so and in my opinion cheapens those that are truly deserving of that title. Heroes don't want that title anyway and they would all tell you they were just doing what had to be done.
Next is the notion that everyone serving is doing so out of some deep patriotic desire. Nonsense. I love my country as much as the next man but joined the Navy out of economic necessity. Simple as that. I needed a job. I found the job not an unpleasant one and it did come with great benefits. A certain amount of  pride in this chosen profession helped as well.
I grimace when I hear people talk of the sacrifices Vets make like being away from home. Vets aren't the only ones doing that. Please don't put it in a context that I'm doing it because I choose to. Like everyone else I did what I had to do and it was just part of the job. Given the choice I would have stayed home !
Let me end by saying this, I am proud to have served my country and I thank you for acknowledging that.
To all the young men and women now serving, Godspeed,and I think of you all daily. May you be as fortunate as I was during my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment