Thursday, November 18, 2010

Experts

I've had several occupations in my life. They have been diverse thats' for sure. Was a stockboy at the local grocery. Worked after school at an Antiques store rewiring old lamps and polishing old brass beds. Spent the longest time in the Navy.Upholstered furniture and hung drapes and blinds. Worked as a maintenance mechanic at a flare company. Was the electrical department man at Lowes' home improvement store. Been a plumber. Operated a backhoe and drove a dump truck. Am licensed to operate a waste management system in the state of Maryland,licensed to operate water system as well.
I wouldn't say I was an expert at any of these. Reasonably proficient is a better description I think. I have always found it amusing that others assume you know so much about a occupation just because you are doing that. Take for instance when I was doing furniture and hanging curtains. Many people assumed I knew about interior decorating. I got asked for advice all the time. Advice is free and I always gave it. Whether it was good or bad is subjective at best. I usually repeated what I had heard the boss say. At the grocery you get asked all the time whether a product is good or bad. I haven't personally tried each product but can offer a guess. Working at Lowes I would get asked about electrical problems only to find out the person I am talking to doesn't have a clue about basic electricity. Those answers were very tricky because you don't want to get somebody killed.Always tried to tell them,tactfully,they should hire a pro.
Checking on someones' credentials is not always a reliable indicator of their knowledge or proficiency. I would prefer someone with credentials however. I have personally known a few with excellent credentials but wouldn't want them doing the job ! I try to keep in mind that the only difference between a professional and a amateur is the pro gets paid. Experts are another thing altogether. Me; I'm an expert at giving advice and voicing my opinion ! Just ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment